Search for content in message boards

John and Margaret (Merril) Loftin

Replies: 0

John and Margaret (Merril) Loftin

Posted: 7 Oct 2012 11:32PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Loftin, Laird, Campbell, Hanners, Snider
I am searching for the family of John and Margaret Merril Loftin.

According to a history I have found, John and Margaret were both born in North Carolina in 1821. They then came to a farm near Eminence, Shannon Co., Missouri.

Then in 1882 they came by wagon train to Spokane Co., Wash. It is stated in the history they were the parents of six boys and four girls all of whom were born in Missouri, presumably in Shannon Co. Some of the children came to Washington Terr. but some of the children remained in and around Eminence.

I have their known children in Washington:
1. John M. Loftin; born 1849 in Missouri and died 1925 in Ford, Idaho. He married Rachel Virginia Campbell.
2. Virginia Loftin; born 1855 in Missouri and died 1903 in Spokane County. I don't believe she ever married.
3. B. Frank Loftin born 1862 in Missouri and died 1934 in Spokane Co.
4. Robert E. Lee Loftin born 1867 in Missouri and died 1938 in Spokane Co. He married Minnie Maud Reninger.

The history states that Robert E. Lee Loftin accompanied his parents in 1882 to Spokane Co., Wash. Terr. It is not known how the other 3 children arrived.

There are other Loftins in the area I cannot place on the tree with the other known Loftins. Perhaps they are other brothers and sisters of John Loftin or perhaps they are other children of John Loftin.

Most of these Loftins in my records are buried at Mica Peak Cemetery in Saxby Twp., Spokane Co., Wash. The nearest town now is Rockford, Wash. Some of the family also lived at Ford, Idaho, a few miles to the east.

John M. Loftin, above, married in Missouri. His son, William Boyd Loftin married Levetta Laird. William and Levetta Laird Loftin are also buried at Mica Peak Cem. Spokane Co. It is interesting to note that Levetta's mother and step-father are also buried at Mica Peak. Levetta's mother was born Sarah Jane Snider. Sarah married Andrew L. Laird in Carter Co., Missouri where they were both native. Andrew died early and Sarah remarried to James Thomas Hanners, a native of Carter Co. I had formed the theory that William Boyd Loftin and Levetta Laird were married in Missouri, however, the recent discovery of their marriage certificate in Spokane disproved the theory. At any rate, I do believe these families were aware of each other in Missouri and that the strong possibility of their travelling together to Washington exists.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions