Search for content in message boards

additional information

Replies: 1

Re: additional information

Posted: 28 May 2013 4:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 May 2013 4:14PM GMT
Surnames: Covington
I found something for you on Rev. James M. Covington. See 2 online bio's referencing him:

1. http://books.google.com/books?id=G-AlAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA490&a...
This is page 400 and references the creation of the Clarks' Creek Church.

2. http://www.farmingtonpresby.org/history_files/A%20SKETCH%20H... - "...In January, 1838, the Rev. Mr. James M. Covington succeeded as Stated Supply. Two men were cited for drunkenness and profanity. They failed to appear but one wrote a letter and made a most frank Confession, and the session restored him to the fellowship of the Church. The other did not appear, and witnesses being heard, he was "quit" of profanity and found guilty of drunkenness and suspended from fellowship.
During 1838 and 1839, the most terrible division ever to occur in the Presbyterian Church in the United States occurred. The Rev. Mr. James M. Covington adhered to the New School, along with Mr. Peers and Mr. Kirkwood, elders, while Mr. Newton and Mr. Milton Cayce, elders, adhered to the Old School. However, this church did not split, and Mr. Covington continued as pastor. (An almost unique resolution of that split, showed a remarkable breadth of Christian love.) The church was at first received under the care of St. Louis Presbytery and remained there until the organization of the presbytery of Potosi on April 4, 1844, and then became a member of Potosi Presbytery.
Mr. Covington, suffering from consumption, made a very moving charge to a class of new members in September 1843. This charge by a dying man was most moving. He died as pastor here on June 11, 1844...."

I as yet haven't found him on any census record. I suspect he may be a son of Asa Covington but that is only based on Asa's son William also being born in Kentucky and migrating to the same part of Missouri in the same timeline.

I also found Narcissa remarried on the 1850 census to Charles Evans with a son Isaac Covington age 8. St. Francois County, MO
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ron Covington 3 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Methuria50 28 May 2013 10:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic