Search for content in message boards

George Vogt of Missouri

Replies: 4

George Vogt of Missouri

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 11:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Vogt, Fox, Burgan, Nansel, Mangelsdorf, Gockel
George Vogt b1835 in Germany, d1914 Missouri. He lived in Jefferson County, Missouri where he met his wife Maria Burgan m1854.

He immigrated with his mother in either 1852, which is the data found in the 1880 census or 1848, which is what my family has passed down. His mother was widowed having lost both her husband and a son in the German revolution. We are unsure if he and his mother originally lived in Illinois or Missouri but did spend the majority of his life in Missouri. I also know in the 1870s he went to South Dakota for the gold rush.

She remarried in Missouri to a man who we believe was a mortician. My grandpa said that talked about a man named Fox, so possibly that was related to her husband somehow. Also during WWIthe family contacted relatives still in germany so im assuming both or one of his parent's relatives stayed in germany. Because I don't know her first name or maiden name I am unsure of records for her. I have cross referenced a lot of information looking for her in hopes of finding more information on Vogts in Germany.i know George Vogt listed Hessen as his birth place but cannot find record of his birth.

If anyone knows anything about this line please help, or if you know how to find lists of names of soldiers who died in German revolution. My motivation for all this comes from my deep desire to find our german ancestors for my grandpa. If you are related I have many other family stories passed down that I have been told by my grandpa I would be happy to share. Other surnames which are part of out family include Nansel, Mangelsdorf, and Gockel; which I also have information on.

George Vogt Born 1860 married Kate Nansel
Their son John Emil Vogt married Ida Clara Mangelsdorf who was the child of Martin Gustof micheal Mangelsdorf and Anna Maria Georgina Gockel wh was the child of August Phillip Gockel and Frances Franziska Henrietta Huss ( I have little information on the Huss line but would like to find more)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jennvogt81 26 Jun 2013 5:00PM GMT 
eesand123 27 Jun 2013 2:04PM GMT 
splendipity 27 Jun 2013 4:27PM GMT 
thomasker2 29 Jun 2013 8:52PM GMT 
Jennvogt81 29 Jun 2013 10:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic