Search for content in message boards

Scruggs-Vandervoort-Barney Dry Goods

Replies: 2

Scruggs-Vandervoort-Barney Dry Goods

Posted: 21 Jun 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Oct 2003 12:29PM GMT
Surnames: HETLAGE, PROTZMANN, KANSTEINER, EWERT, STICKFORT, KEESE
In my grandmothers papers, I found a letter she received in 1924 from an employee of Vandervoorts. I do not live in the St. Louis area... does this store still exist or has something else replaced it? Thank you for your help in this.

The letter is quoted below for those who enjoy "period" reading :)

(beginning of quoted letter)

Fair Lady,

I have given up trying to induce you to buy a piano at Vandervoort's. Now I am a goin' to GIVE you one - because, no matter what were our grandmothers' views as to what implements were needed for to start housekeeping with, the bride of TODAY needs and wants a baby grand "Pie Anna"

The one being delivered to you today may not match the furniture selected for your new home, but don't let that worry you. It can be ebonyized with shoe polish, mahoganyized with strawberry juice (the words are mine own) or waxed with constant handling. I will see that you get Vandervoort service on this (tunings for a year and a polish after it is set in the home) and will only ask in return that you mention our store and my name to anyone explaiming over the instrucment and inquiring into the source of the gift.

If you are not going to neglect your music for the delights of cooking and if your husband is still going to treat the godly on Sundays you will find this most useful, aside from its grace and beauty.

My good wishes for continued luck and prosperity.

Sincerely, Agatha Heloise Hequernbourg (not sure of spelling)

(end of quote)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
scubapeg 21 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT 
nay_grigone 22 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT 
margred1729 24 Jul 2013 2:26PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions