Search for content in message boards

Oral Clinton Hindman --Obituary

Replies: 1

Re: Oral Clinton Hindman -- Obituary

Posted: 12 Jan 2014 11:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Jan 2014 11:53AM GMT
Surnames: Ramsey, Owens, Hindman, Lanning, Shell, Masters, Fowler, Hawn, Eaker, Wright, Virgin, Shearing, Crites, Baker
Recently, to confirm my recollection that my paternal grandparents, Clarence Paul Ramsey and Stella Jane (Owens) Ramsey, lived in or near Advance, Pike Township, Stoddard County, Missouri, before World War I, I returned for a look at the Missouri Certificate of Death for their daughter, Carrene Merrel Ramsey, which is in the Missouri Death Certificates database (http://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/resources/deathcertificates). The database currently holds Certificates of Death from 1910 through 1962.

Her Certificate of Death notes Carrene died in Pike Township, Stoddard County, at 10:00 AM on 29 January 1915, aged 3 months, 15 days. The cause of death was pneumonia. Carrene was buried on 30 January 1915, in Greenbrier, Bollinger County, Missouri, where my father had been born just over two years before. Clarence Paul Ramsey of Advance was listed as the Informant on his daughter Carrene’s Certificate of Death.

The physician who signed Carrene’s Certificate of Death on 30 January 1915, was James M. Hindman of Advance.

There is a Certificate of Death in the Missouri Death Certificates database for “Phisician” James Milton Hindman, a widower who died at Advance, Pike Township, Stoddard County, Missouri, on 18 March 1939, aged 71 years, 2 months, 27 days. The cause of death was “Senility.” His date of birth was listed as 21 December 1867. His place of birth was listed as Indiana. The Certificate of Death noted he had last worked at his profession on 1 June 1928, and had been in that occupation for 35 years. The Certificate of Death named his father as “Judge Hindman,” born in Indiana. In the block for his mother’s maiden name was the entry “Don’t Know.” Dr. Hindman was buried at the Baker Cemetery at Lutesville, Bollinger County, on 20 March 1939. The informant on James Milton Hindman’s Certificate of Death was Odis Shell of Advance.

Dr. Robert Lee Ramsey was a physician who had practiced in Advance around 1900. He was a first cousin of Albert “Stoke” Ramsey, Clarence Paul Ramsey’s father. Stoke was a son of Alfred Ramsey (b. 1819, MO). Dr. Ramsey was a son of Albert Ramsey, Alfred’s immediate older brother, who had been born in 1816 in Lincoln County, North Carolina.

Out of curiosity, and to see if there might have been some professional connection between Doctors Hindman and Ramsey, I searched for more information about the former. I found this biographical sketch about him on page 879 of Volume II of Professor Robert Sidney Douglass’ “History of Southeast Missouri” (Chicago and New York: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1912):

“James M. Hindman, M. D. The professional career of Dr. J. M. Hindman excites the admiration and has won the respect of his contemporaries, and in a calling in which one has to gain reputation by merit he has advanced steadily until he is acknowledged as the superior of most of the members of the medical profession in Bollinger county, Missouri, having long since left the ranks of the many to stand among the successful few. Dr. Hindman is engaged in the active practice of his profession at Dongola, Missouri, where he is a man of mark in all the relations of life.”

“In Jay county, Indiana, on the 21st of December, 1867, occurred the birth of Dr. Hindman, who is a son of J. Monroe and Mary Elizabeth (Lanning) Hindman, both of whom are now deceased. The father was a farmer in Bollinger county, Missouri, and he had achieved a fine success in that particular line of enterprise. He served as county judge of the southern district for two years. He and his wife became the parents of ten children, of whom the Doctor was the eldest in order of birth and seven of whom are living in 1911. On the old homestead farm in Indiana Dr. Hindman was reared to adult age. In 1881 the family home was established in Jay county, that state, and there the Doctor received his preliminary educational training. In 1883 J. Monroe Hindman removed with his family to Arkansas, remaining in that state for a period of twelve months, at the expiration of which a return was made to Indiana. In 1885 the family again set out for Arkansas, but, sojourning for a time in Bollinger county, Missouri, while en route. Mr. Hindman became so impressed with the attractions of this place that he decided to settle here. Accordingly, he homesteaded a tract of one hundred and sixty acres of land in Liberty township, where he resided until his death. Dr. Hindman was associated with his father in the work and management of the farm until 1889. He then farmed for himself until 1898, when he decided upon the medical profession of his life work and in that year was matriculated as a student in the St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons, at St. Louis, Missouri, being graduated in that excellent institution as a member of the class of 1902 and duly receiving his well earned degree of Doctor of Medicine.”

“Dr. Hindman initiated the practice of his profession at Dongola, Missouri, where he opened up a drug store and where he has continued to reside up to the present time. He rapidly built up a large and lucrative patronage and today holds prestige as one of the most skilled physicians and surgeons in Bollinger county. He has continued to conduct his drug store in connection with his professional work and the same is well equipped and strictly modern in all its appointments. Dr. Hindman is the owner of some three lots and a beautiful residence in Dongola, where he is honored and esteemed by his fellow citizens and where he is unusually loyal and public spirited in his civic attitude.”

“In the year 1888 Dr. Hindman was united in marriage to Miss Emma P. Shell, a native of Bollinger county, Missouri, and a daughter of Troy Shell, of that place. Dr. and Mrs. Hindman have no children. In their religious faith they are devout members of the Baptist church, in the different departments of whose work they are most zealous and active factors. In politics he accords an uncompromising allegiance to the cause of the Republican party and in fraternal channels he is affiliated with the time-honored Masonic order, the Tribe of Ben Hur and the Woodmen of the World.”

The Missouri Death Certificates database includes one for Emma Parlee Hindman, who died in Advance on 15 December 1935, aged 67 years, 9 months, 4 days. The principal cause of death was senility, with rheumatoid arthritis a contributory cause. A married housekeeper, she was born in Zalma [Bollinger County], Missouri, on 11 February 1868. Her father was listed as Troy Shell, born in Bollinger County. Her mother’s maiden name was listed as Masters, and she was born in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri. Emma’s husband was listed as J. M. Hindman. J. M. Hindman of Advance also was the Informant on the Certificate of Death.

I know from other sources that Emma Parlee (Shell) Hindman’s mother was Nancy Caroline (Masters) Hindman.

The Missouri Death Certificates database includes one from Jackson County for Oral Hindman, who died on 21 November 1959, aged 50 years. The cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning. No date of birth was listed. His place of birth was Greenbrier, Missouri. His father was named as Louis Hindman. His mother was named as Katheryn Fowler. His wife was named as Glenna Hindman of 4608 Chestnut Street in Kansas City. She also was listed as the Informant on the Certificate of Death. Oral Hindman’s body was removed to Advance for burial.

The Missouri Death Certificates database includes one for married housewife Mary Catherine Hindman, who died in rural Wayne Township, Bollinger County (her usual residence), on 27 April 1953, aged 72 years, 10 months, 24 days. The direct causes of death were myocarditis and cerebral hemorrhage, with senility an antecedent cause. She was born on 5 June 1880 in Bollinger County. Her father was named as Lawrence Fowler, and her mother as Mary Catherine Eaker. She was buried at the Union Hill Cemetery in Zalma on 29 April 1953. Her husband, Lewis Hindman, also was the Informant. His address was listed as Sturdivant, which is in Wayne Township, Bollinger County.

There is a “Find A Grave” memorial for Louis Monroe Hindman, who is buried at the Union Hill Baptist Cemetery in Zalma. It reflects he was born on 4 January 1876, in Portland, Jay County, Indiana, to James “Monroe” Hindman and Mary Elizabeth (Lanning) Hindman. He died in Lutesville, Bollinger County, on 19 June 1965. That date is too recent for his Certificate of Death to be included in the Missouri Death Certificates database. Certificates of Death from 1963 should be entered into the database soon, after they collectively have reached 50 years old.

The “Find A Grave” memorial notes Louis Monroe Hindman married twice. His first wife was Louisa A. Shell. His second wife was Mary Catherine Fowler. Oral Clinton Hindman (29 May 1909-21 November 1959) is named as one of Louis Monroe Hindman’s children

I understand there were other Hindman-Shell connections. Two of Emma P. (Shell) Hindman’s sisters are reported to have married Hindman brothers, and Emma's brother, Benjamin Franklin “Bennie” Shell, is reported to have married a sister of those Hindman brothers.

A Missouri Certificate of Death for Jacob Hindman (1882-1945), a blind man who lived near Sank, Bollinger County, when he died, listed his father as James Monroe Hindman, born in Indiana, and his mother’s maiden name as Lanning. Her place of birth also was Indiana. Elizabeth Hindman of Sank, was the Informant on Jacob Hindman’s Certificate of Death. I know her to have been Elizabeth (Hawn) Eaker Hindman (1895-1959). Jacob Hindman is buried at the Union Hill Cemetery in Zalma. Elizabeth Hindman is buried at the Clubb Creek Cemetery in Bollinger County, as are my father’s paternal grandparents, Stoke Ramsey and Martha Elizabeth (Wright) Ramsey.

The Virgin family of my Grandmother Stella’s mother, Missouri Belle (Virgin) Owens, had Shell connections. Troy Washington Shell and Nancy Caroline (Masters) Shell, Emma Parlee (Shell) Hindman’s parents, are buried at the Virgin family burial ground, north of Zalma in Bollinger County. Emma’s brother William is buried there as well, as is Belle Owens’ father, Enoch Virgin.

As an aside, Belle’s husband, John Madison Owens, like James Monroe Hindman, had been a judge for the southern district of Bollinger County for two years (1910-1912, if I recall correctly). John Madison Owens, who had been involved in the timber industry, operated a general store and was postmaster in Greenbrier.

My paternal grandparents, Paul and Stella Ramsey, are buried at the Baker Cemetery, as are Stella’s parents, John Madison Owens and Missouri Belle (Virgin) Owens. Funeral Director Andrew Jackson Baker (buried at Baker Cemetery), a son of Richard Baker and Drucilla (Crites) Baker, was a cousin of my Grandmother Stella. His mother Drucilla and Stella’s mother Belle were half sisters. Their mother, Elizabeth Shearing, had married first Andrew Jackson Crites. Drucilla (Crites) Baker, likely named after her maternal grandmother, Drucilla Shearing, was one of their children. After Andrew Jackson Crites died in 1862, the widow Elizabeth married second Enoch Virgin, a widower.

There are Ramsey-Fowler connections. It’s all very complicated, and this is already too long.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
marysday 16 Jul 2013 9:47AM GMT 
CleteRamsey 12 Jan 2014 6:41PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions