Search for content in message boards

George W. Heatherly and the "Raincrow question"

Replies: 3

George W. Heatherly and the "Raincrow question"

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 1:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Heatherly, Raincrow
George W. Heatherly, born 1810 in No. Carolina was my GG Grandfather. I have researched the Heatherly Family History for about 45 years. His wife and my GG Grandmother was only known to our family as "Hester". We have been searching for her true identity for many years without success. A few years ago, a descendant of Nancy Jane Heatherly (one of the daughters of George W. Heatherly and "Hester") announced that he had found Hester's true identity. His information claimed that Hester was in fact, a full blood Cherokee woman by the name of Mary Raincrow. I repeatedly attempted to get confirmation or proof, but there was no actual record of a marriage in Tennessee, or any other records or information to back up this claim. I did not change my records to include Mary Raincrow as the wife of George W. Heatherly. But unfortunately several of the Heatherly researchers "Jumped on the Bandwagon" without any proof at all, and listed Mary Raincrow, daughter of Chief Joseph, as the wife of George W. Heatherly, and the mother off all eight children. I personally contacted several researchers. Some were angry with me and others would not even respond to my E-mails. I have done some very careful and extensive research on Mary Raincrow. Indeed, there was a woman by that name, who was born in Sparta, White, Tennessee on 27 April 1813. She was the daughter of Ben Joseph Oodesahdeyouduah Bendabout Raincrow and Susanna Soginnee. She married a man by the name of Floyd Dotson in Roane City Tennessee 11 Nov 1830. They had twelve children together, starting in 1831 to 1852. The children were all born in Tennessee and Arkansas. This is during the same time period when George W. Heatherly and "Hester" were having their family of eight children in Douglas County, Missouri. The children of George W. Heatherly and "Hester" were born during the period 1834 through 1856. It does not take a "Rocket Scientist" to see that Mary Raincrow and George W. Heatherly were never married. Mary Raincrow died on 29 Jan 1904 in Whartons Creek, Madison City, Arkansas. George W. Heatherly died about 1869 in Douglas County, Missouri. His wife "Hester" died about 1856 in Douglas County, Missouri. No one would be more pleased than myself, if we could correctly identify my GG Grandmother "Hester". But she was not Mary Raincrow, and there is no way she could have been. I hope all researchers will remove this erroneous information from their files. Perhaps if we all cooperate and do some serious research, the true identity of "Hester" Heatherly will be revealed. Clarence Heatherly
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Azlivingdeser... 15 Jun 2011 7:46PM GMT 
davidtodd42 16 Jun 2011 2:22AM GMT 
Azlivingdeser... 16 Jun 2011 12:36PM GMT 
Ron01ald 5 Jan 2013 10:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic