Search for content in message boards

FREE LOOK-UPS***TEXAS COUNTY, MISSOURI****

Replies: 201

Re: FREE LOOK-UPS***TEXAS COUNTY, MISSOURI****

Posted: 29 Jul 2011 4:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,
I wish all research I do turned out as easily as yours has done! About the Potts Mercantile Store; from the book,TEXAS COUNTY HERITAGE, volume one; page 37, article titled, "Village of Simmons"...(in case you don't know, Simmons is located about half-way between Cabool & Houston on 63 hiway..my mother grew up in that community & my grandparents lived there most of my growing up years, so what I found was particulary interesting to me also); Simmons was established in the early 1800s & by 1901 had 100 residents; by 1942 it had a population of 125. May not seem like much, but all I've ever known it to be is a few scattered farms with a gas station & church beside the road. There were 46 pupils enrolled in the Simmons school in 1908. There were several businesses listed for Simmons during it's "heyday", a bank, blacksmiths shops, drug store, resturant, barber shop & telephone office, not to mention more than one store. The Potts store was run by George, John and Earl Potts.
About Bethel Patterson Orr; I found him in Gilmer County, GA from the 1860 through 1880 census. But he was in Texas County in the 1900 census. His last child born in GA was in 1883. The first child born in Missouri was 1888. By that we know he left Georgia after 1883. Whether he was in Texas County from that point on, I do not know. I did find other Orr families in Texas County as far back as the 1870 census, so it could be they came to this area because of other family already here. Bethel Patterson Orr is buried in the Oak Dale Cemetery in Cass township.(born 1855/died 1929). There are several more Orrs buried there, so if you need that info, just let me know.
About Mary Ann Clodfelter; I found a family history written about George Elcany Sigman in the Texas County Heritage book, volume 2, page 751; the article was submitted by Beulah Altis Thieman Fern Altis Wilson. In it, is says that Mary Ann Clodfelter was George E. Sigman's MOTHER. I did find burial info for the Sigman family in Steely's Chapel Cemetery in Cass township. Mary Sigman's dates are born 4 Feb. 1825/died 17 Nov. 1904. She is buried beside her husband Joel in a long line of Sigmans that include George E. and his wife Melvina.Again, if you need the rest of the Sigman info, just let me know.
About Matilda Mee;I have found no record of her ever being in Texas County. I did run across some info that indicated that she had died in Lincoln County, MO, which is north, near St. Louis. As for the Cherokee connection, I have no idea how to go about pursuing that kind of info. There is a story that during the Trail of Tears,(which passed through Texas County)many of the Indians slipped away and were hidden by the white settlers in the area around Licking. They were supposedly silently absorbed into the communities in that area. Old timers passed that story down but I am unsure how much of it is true. I do know that your people came to Texas County much later than the Trail of Tears timeframe. Hope this helps! Traci B.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jfisk52 9 Jul 2011 12:00AM GMT 
Craftsmen2000 26 Jul 2011 9:34PM GMT 
tdbohannon 29 Jul 2011 10:47PM GMT 
silcox_dana 19 Feb 2012 3:30PM GMT 
tdbohannon 23 Mar 2012 4:55PM GMT 
Craftsmen2000 23 Mar 2012 5:19PM GMT 
tdbohannon 26 Mar 2012 9:58PM GMT 
kilgen_1 9 Aug 2011 1:14AM GMT 
silcox_dana 19 Feb 2012 3:24PM GMT 
cousinmarta1 15 Sep 2011 9:55PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions