charles issac smelser

Replies: 1

Re: charles issac smelser

Posted: 12 Jan 2014 8:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Jan 2014 8:10AM GMT
Surnames: SMELSER
Melissa,
You might receive a reply from Charles I Smelser descendants (I know of a couple people who have done genealogy, but have not had contact with them in many years.) They would be able to fill you in on Charles & Susanna & their children, etc.

However, Charles Isaac was my great grandfather Aaron Smelser's brother. Their parents were William Harrison Smelser (b. abt 1841 in Greene Co, TN) and Catherine Brown (b. Oct 1843 in TN.) They moved to Texas Co., MO, around 1880. The next 20+ years (while in Texas Co.) is a bit hazy as the courthouse burned down and I have not been able to find records of the family during that time.

William Harrison Smelser (Charles' father) died sometime in the late 1880s. Catherine Brown Smelser died in Texas Co. MO in 1917.

I'm sure the Smelsers originally came from Germany (and the name was probably spelled Smeltzer or Schmeltzer back then.) But, I know that Adam Smelser was b. in 1755 in PA. His first (or baptismal) name might have been Johan, but the Germans tended to use middle names as the "common" name.

Adam Smelser (b. 1755 PA - d. 1822 Greene Co TN) married as his first (or possibly second) wife a Maria Johanna. (You'll find some posts online that say her surname was Eckert. However, on our ancestor (Jacob)'s baptismal record her maiden name is spelled "Caniy" - I'm inclined to think that it could have been Koenig which to a non-German might have sounded like Caniy.) Maria Johanna died about 1795/1796, and Adam married a Mary Kretzinger. Adam (and his wives) had at least 14 children.

(Johan) Jacob Smelser (b. 7 Apr 1790 in PA - d. 5 Mar 1838 in Greene Co, TN) married on 27 July 1811 in Greene Co TN to Elizabeth Ealy (1790-after 1838.) She was the daughter of George Ealy (Ely, Ihle) (abt 1750-1813) and Elizabeth__?__. Jacob Smelser & Elizabeth Ealy had at least 5 children.

John Smelser (abt 1815-after 1860) married an Elizabeth____ (as in census records.) Perhaps Betsy Myers as a John Smelser & Betsy Myers were married in Greene Co TN 5 Apr 1838. They had at least 7 children. The eldest was our William Harrison Smelser.

By the way, my brother and at least one of Charles Isaac's grandsons have done the y-DNA test and they match each other and several descendants from other children of Adam Smelser.

Hopefully this makes sense. Contact me for more information & further details if you wish (at nofasum at yahoo.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Melissa Salaz... 10 Jan 2014 4:06PM GMT 
jksmitchell1 12 Jan 2014 3:09PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions