Search for content in message boards

Irish Catholics in Washington County

Replies: 3

Irish Catholics in Washington County

Posted: 16 Apr 2004 9:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Oct 2005 8:09AM GMT
Surnames: Campbell, Mcavinny, Ohanlon
I have done a great deal of research on the Campbell, McAvinny and O'Hanlon families of Washington and Jefferson Counties for 1850-1880. I have a GGrandfather Patrick Campbell who owned property in Desoto 1883-1890 and their children were all christened at the St Rose Catholic Church. I have strong suspicions that this Irish Catholic family of mine is directly related to the Irish Catholic family of Michael Campbell found in Potosi at the same time. I think Patrick's father (James) was a brother of Michael, they both being sons of the Patrick Campbell who is buried in the St. James Cemetery.

Some facts:
1. They are the only Irish Catholic Campbell people in this time and place.
2. Both Michael and James were about the same age
3. Both named sons Patrick and James and a daughter Catherine
4. Both had a Grandson named John Joseph Campbell
5. All moved from Ireland to this remote section of Missouri about the same time.

I live a long way away and am hoping to find a pen pal in this area perhaps working on the same families.

All of the Campbell, McAvinny and O'Hanlon families of Washington County seem to be related and intermarried. I have found many marriages and also they were godparents for each other's children at christenings. These people only lived a few miles apart, yet I have not found any link to these Irish Catholic Campbells from Potosi and Desoto. I have posted queries on ancestry and rootsweb but nobody answers.

Can you help me find another researcher working on these families?

Maureen Campbell
5501 Gallant Fox Lane
Racine WI 53402
larrywood67576@wmconnect.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LarryWood727 16 Apr 2004 3:07PM GMT 
Tammy 17 Oct 2005 6:20PM GMT 
paatr1 6 Jul 2014 2:43AM GMT 
judybelford 13 Jul 2014 11:43PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic