Search for content in message boards

Vanishing Voellner's (Vollner/Wollner/Voelner/Volner/Wolner/etc)

Replies: 0

Vanishing Voellner's (Vollner/Wollner/Voelner/Volner/Wolner/etc)

Posted: 29 Oct 2013 11:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Voellner, Vollner, Volner, Voelner, Beck, Wolner, Wollner,
Hi everyone. I'm having some trouble and thought I might be able to recruit some help, or possibly find others out there with the same surname interested in collaboration. Other than that, if you can offer any hints for me as to how to best solve my situation I would be eternally greatful.

Details:

My Great Great Great Grandfather, Ernst Voellner, was born in Germany in 1834. Initially I had thought I hit a brick wall with regards to finding his parents or siblings, until I dug a little deeper and found the passenger lists from his immigration in 1846. He was only 12 when his family immigrated to the U.S.A., traveling on the ship Agnes and arriving in New Orleans. Their intended destination, according to the passenger list, was St. Louis, MO, which was of no surprise to me considering all of my family, immediate and extended, has lived in St. Louis for generations (often passing houses down from generation to generation and never leaving the same neighborhoods). The passenger list provided me with the names of his family: his father Conrad, mother Wilhelmina (spelling?), sister Friedericke, and brother Engel. I was able to find information on Friedericke, such as her marriage to Christopher Beck in 1853, census information for 1860 and her death and burial information in 1869. However, as far as I can find Friedericke never appears in an 1850 census. The same applies for her parents, her brother Engel, and my GGG Grandfather Ernst. In fact, aside from his Civil War registration information Ernst doesn't appear in any census until 1870, however I was able to find him in an IRS Tax Assesment in 65, and a City Directory in 66.

My main problem arises with Ernst's parents Conrad and Wilhelmina and his brother Engel. Besides their immigration record on the passenger list, I've been unable to find any record for either of them. I've tried all four spellings of the names that I have come across (Voellner, Vollner, Volner, Voelner), and have my search settings to show matches for initials as well as soundex matches, and basically anything that is remotely similar. Still, no luck. I also can't find Friedericke in the 1850 census, and Ernst in the 1850 or 1860 census (best guess is they were living with there parents during these years so they'd be on the same records as the ones with the rest of their family that I cannot find). If anyone else out there is researching this particular family I would really appreciate the help. Perhaps we could collaborate?

Since initially starting this search I've also tried several other variations of searching. I've tried searching Wollner and Wolner variations of the last name with no success. I've also tried only searching first names in the St. Louis area. I've also tried tracking down Cristoph/Christopher Beck (Friedericke's husband) in the 1850 census, in hopes that he perhaps lived near the Vollner family and that was how Friedericke and he met, and have yet to find him. In fact I've only found 2 christoph/christopher becks in 1850 censuses and one is in Philadelphia while the other is in New York. So unless he moved to St. Louis from one of these places before their marriage in 1853, or Friedericke or the entire family moved from St. Louis to one of these cities then back again between 1850 and 53, then the Christopher Beck's I did manage to find can't be the one I'm looking for.

If you have any advice you can offer me, or you know anything that could help I would really appreciate it all!!!! Thank you so much!

p.s.- My family tree is set to public so you can feel free to view the records I've mentioned and check it out for yourself. Maybe you can find something I missed...

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions