Search for content in message boards

William Henry Large family from Missouri

Replies: 6

Re: William Henry Large family from Missouri

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 3:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
William Henry Large was born in Missouri in 1868. The first census I found him in is the California, Great Registers, 1866-1910, it was for Voters Registration on September 3rd, 1892, Chico, Butte, California, United States. He was 24 years old.
The next record I have for William is when he married my great grandmother, Alta Johnny Dofflemyer, April 4th, 1897. They were married in Choctaw City, Oklahoma. I do not know how or where they met.
I found them in the 1900 census, William and Alta who were living in Oklahoma Territory. I found the family in Jackson County, OK in the 1910 census, William says he was born in Missouri in this census. They listed their children, Augusta Clay Large born in 1898, my grandmother Gladys Ola Large, born in 1902 in Dixon Oklahoma, Archie Orbria Large, born 1904 in Broken Arrow Oklahoma.
William and Alta divorced, I do not have a date for this event.
I found William in the 1930 Census, living in Earlsboro, Pottaawatomie Oklahoma, with a Minnie Belle Lurye and her children, Marvin Lurye, Lurline Lurye, Galda Lurye, and Wanda Lurye. There was also a border in their home at this time, Virgil Owens. In this census William states that his mother was born in Kansa and his father was born in Kentucky.
In the 1940 census William and Minnie Belle are now married. They are living in Ward 4, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Oklahoma, United States and William gives his birthplace as Indian Territory. William is 73 years old and Minnie Belle Large is 58 years old.
William Henry Large passed away before Minnie Belle Large, but I do not know when. I found Minnie Belle Large’s burial site and headstone in Sunny Lane Cemetery Sec 4, Oklahoma County, she passed away on March 29, 1959.
I understand William Henry Large’s mother’s name was Winona, she was a Choktaw and Cherokee Indian, she was 88 years old when she passed away in around 1923. I have seen a photo of her and writing where she was referred to as Choktaw Indian Grandmother Messenger Large. I have not been able to find any records on her what so ever. I have some notes on a page from a great aunt that says Harrah Oklahoma, Choctaw Cemetery.
William had three sisters, Nellie, Mary and Maybell. I have no information or photos of Maybell. Nellie was quite a bit younger than William Henry, born around 1892. I found a newspaper article about Nellie Large, dated 1911, she was 19 years old, Kansas City MO. Nellie purchased two acres in the Ozarks, I have pictures of her as a young woman, middle aged woman and pictures of a oil rig being drilled beside her house in the Ozarks.
I have a newspaper clipping of Nellie Large’s husband William C Leech obituary. Unfortunately there is no date on it. He was survived by his mother Mary and his brothers George Leech, Earl Leech and Del Leech. He was buried in the Rose Hill Cemetery in Oklahoma City.
There is also a family connection to Robert Messenger (Robbie), I am not sure if he is a cousin or a step brother to William Henry Large. Robert Messenger was also born in Missouri, he was born in 1884. I found Robert Messenger in the 1940 Californian Census, living in Redding California, single, working for the post office as a custodian. Robert looked after Nellie in her last years, and then ended up in the Odd Fellows retirement home in Redding California.
I believe Mary Large Williams sister married Glen Thompson, of Hazelton Kansas. We have a photo of a horse and wagon and on the side of the wagon is a sign for Glen Thompson Trucking, license 8-8067, 3-3513
I also have photos of William Henry Large as a young man and later in his life. If you have any of these people in your family, if you could kindly email me at kwellard@telus.net

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kwellard55 6 Feb 2013 12:23AM GMT 
PYount 8 Feb 2013 4:42PM GMT 
kwellard55 9 Feb 2013 10:02PM GMT 
PYount 10 Feb 2013 5:00AM GMT 
kwellard55 10 Feb 2013 8:36PM GMT 
kwellard55 12 Feb 2013 2:51AM GMT 
kwellard55 12 Feb 2013 2:51AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions