Search for content in message boards

WEBB CITY, MISSOURI - ANNA THORBURN 1905

Replies: 1

WEBB CITY, MISSOURI - ANNA THORBURN 1905

Posted: 8 Jan 2014 9:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
I wonder if anyone can throw some light on mining in Webb City? My sister in law, found a silver spoon which she thinks came from her grandmothers house, in Polmont, Stirlingshire, Scotland. The spoon looks like it is either a tourist souvenier, or a commemoration of some sort. It has a depiction of a "MINING SCENE" on the bowl, the word MISSOURI along the middle length with a two miners working above the lettering. At the top of the handle, there is what looks like a crest or coat of arms. One side of this has what I assume to be an eagle on, the other side looks like 2 "tools" of some description above and below one another, 2 bears seem to be on the outer side of the crest along with "stag" horns on the top centre. The only lead to this item is the name and date ANNA THORBURN 1905 which is inscribed on the back. This is a sterling silver spoon which wouldnt have been a cheap object in its time but we cant find any link to Missouri or the name Thorburn. We thought if we could find out if this commemorates anything in particular, it may help us trace who Anna was.
Any help greatly appreciated back here in Scotland!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
laineywoo1 8 Jan 2014 4:52PM GMT 
HRFFW 13 Jan 2014 8:21PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions