Search for content in message boards

BOOTJER family in Crawford and BOOTJER Hospital there.

Replies: 3

Re: BOOTJER family in Crawford and BOOTJER Hospital there.

Posted: 2 May 2013 3:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BOOTJER
FOUND BOOTJER HOSPITAL!
For anyone looking for info on Bootjer Hospital in Crawford, Nebraska, I was able to find this in

Crawford, Nebraska 100th Year CENTENNIAL 1886-1986: The Garden Beyond The Hills
Written by Melvin Bootjer (1910-2005), her son
     Mother was very active in business and as I think back, she was involved in many things. She had the first hemstitching machine in 1925. She did some dressmaking and had a shop in the old Midwest Hardware.
     In 1930, Crawford had no hospital so, at the request of Drs. Richards and Ivins, she converted her home into a four-bed hospital. Some years later she purchased the Minick house and had a ten-bed hospital. I am sure there are many Crawford people who were born or spent time in Bootjer Hospital and have fond memories of the time spent under her care. After Dr. Ivins took over part of the Arcade building for his hospital, Mother quit nursing.
     There was a great need for housing for the fort soldiers and civilian workers and their wives, so she converted Bootjer Hospital into apartments. Many families enjoyed it as a home away from home. During this time she had built the Butte View Motel and Restaurant, which she operated for many years. She introduced the smorgasbord on Sundays and people came from neighboring towns to enjoy it. She moved to Santa Barbara to be near her family and spend some good years with many friends. She passed away in 1978.

Thanks again to everyone who responded to my request.

Bob Anderson
Omaha, NE
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
crecon 16 Feb 2011 4:29AM GMT 
thomasker2 28 Nov 2011 10:14PM GMT 
crecon 29 Nov 2011 6:04PM GMT 
crecon 2 May 2013 9:48PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions