Search for content in message boards

Phebe M (Slason?) Holman Gage (1813-1876)

Replies: 1

Phebe M (Slason?) Holman Gage (1813-1876)

Posted: 4 Aug 2012 2:16PM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Holman, Slason, Slasson, Slawson, Gage, Gaige, Howard
Hello! I'm seeking information on Phebe M. (Slason?) Holman Gage.

She was born in 1813 in Vermont, parents unknown.

Phebe M. HOLMAN can be found residing with Franklin and Patience (Gage) Slason in Sudbury, Rutland, Vermont on the 1850 US Federal Census. Her daughter, Phebe J. SLASON is also residing with this family. Thomas and Eunice (Stephens) Gage, who I believe are the parents of Patience, are next door neighbors found on the same page. It's also possible they were the parents of the Mr. Gage who married Phebe M Holman. For certain, though, this Gage family is related in some fashion.

The only other record I have of Phebe is of her death. Her gravestone can be found in Vesta Cemetery in Johnson County, Nebraska. On one side, the gravestone reads the following:
HOWARD
Phebe J Holman <-- This is Phebe J Slason found on the 1850 census
Wife of J.T. Howard
1844-1887
George Irving
1864-1876
Agnes
1873-1875
On the other side, the gravestone reads:
GRANDMOTHERS
Phebe M GAGE <-- This is Phebe M Holman found on the 1850 census
1813-1876
Agnes T Howard
1811-1884

Phebe M Gage [Phebe M Holman Gage] and Agnes T Howard [Agnes Todd (Clark) Howard] were the grandmothers of George Irving Howard and Agnes Howard found on that gravestone. Agnes T Howard was the mother of J.T. Howard [John Todd Howard].

To add to the confusion, Phebe M Gage's daughter, Phebe J Slason, was recorded as Jane HOLMAN in her marriage to John HOWARD. They were married Aug 29, 1863 in Oswego, Kendall, Illinois, USA.

I'm looking for 1860 records for mother and daughter, Phebe M Holman and Phebe J Slason/Holman. They may have resided near Squaw Grove, De Kalb, Illinois, as that is where John T Howard can be found.

I'm also looking for 1870 records for Phebe M Holman/Gage. She may have lived in Johnson County, Nebraska by this time. Her daughter and son-in-law lived in Sterling, Johnson, Nebraska.

Phebe Jane (Holman) Howard's son Harlos was born in Minnesota on 17 Aug 1865, so it's also possible that 1865 Minnesota state census records could be found for Phebe J Howard and Phebe M Holman/Gage.

I know that Phebe M Gage is *not* the same Phebe Gage found in Grafton County, NH in 1860 and Plato, Ill. in 1870, as this Phebe Gage 1813-1885 was buried next to Rebecca and in the same lot as Hannah (found in 1860) at Udina Cemetery in Udina, Kane, Illinois.

In summary, here's what I'm hoping to find:
• 1860 US Fed Census for Phebe M Holman/Gage and for Phebe J Slason/Holman
• 1865 Minnesota State Census for Phebe M Holman/Gage and for Phebe J Howard.
• 1870 US Fed Census for Phebe M Holman/Gage, probably in Johnson County, Nebraska
• An explanation for why the daughter had the surname Slason in 1850 but Holman when she got married.

I wonder if perhaps Phebe M Holman Gage was Slason by birth and had Phebe J out of wedlock, then married a Mr. Holman. (The best possible match as a husband I can find is a Liutenant Holman found in Rutland County, Vermont records.) My theory is that Phebe J would have then used the maiden name of Holman to legitimize her birth before marrying John Todd Howard, who was a devout member of the M.E. Church since his teenage years.

What I wonder especially is why Phebe M and her daughter can be found residing with Franklin and Patience Gage in 1850. Was Franklin her brother, or was Patience her sister? Did Phebe M later marry into Patience's family? There are records of a Phebe M Slason as Franklin's sister, however she was born in 1828 and as far as I can tell, married Silas W Howard and died in Hubbardton, VT in 1898.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
paperdragonwi... 4 Aug 2012 8:16PM GMT 
lindalara93 3 Apr 2014 3:10PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions