Search for content in message boards

Searching for Kahny, Brugger

Replies: 4

Re: Searching for Kahny, Brugger

Posted: 1 Jul 2012 2:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brugger, Kähny, Kessler, Glaser
Hello, and thanks for your reply to my query. I am very happy to hear from you about these families. I have known Adolf Kähny for over 10 years, and visited him in Adelhausen in 2001 to learn about my own Kähni ancestor who emigrated from Adelhausen. Afterwards, he sent me some information about these Brugger/Kähny families which, interestingly, varies somewhat from what you have just told me, and which also seems to be at odds with what I have found in my own research. A most complicated story! Perhaps you did not know that Leonhard and Louise Brugger had emigrated with their children to the US earlier, but, first, let me just quote verbatim in my translation what Adolf said to me in an email: "Leonhard Brugger emigrated with his wife Louise Kessler and his children Emma and Emilie in 1878 to the USA. Leonhard died in 1881 in the USA. Louise then returned with their children to Germany, and in 1886 she married the smith Erhard Kähny of Adelhausen. The family then emigrated once again to the USA in 1888. The children from the marriage of Leonhard and Louise remained in Germany. Louise died in 1892 in the USA, and the widower Erhard married Johanna Glaser-Zach in 1893." Notice that Adolf states that Leonhard Brugger died in the USA rather than Germany, but I have so far been unable to locate a death or burial record for him or for Louise. Adolf also gave me some information about the children of Leonhard and Louise; "Emma b 1877 d 1955 in Basel, Emilie b 1878 d 1881 on the ship during the trip back to Germany, Anna Margaretha b 1880 USA d 1937 in Baden-Baden, and Leonhard b 1881 d unknown in USA". I did some checking and found that Leonhard b 1881 came back to the USA at a later time since he lived and died in Butte, Montana on 5 June 1960. He apparently did not return to the USA with Louise and Erhard, however. So that is the story as I currently understand it. I am also connected to the Bruggers by ancestry, hence my interest in this family. Incidentally,. I also have all the data on the children of Erhard Kähny with both Louise and with Johanna. I have several of Adolf's books, but not the "Familien-Chronik". I do have one on various emigrants from the Eichsel parish which is called "Auswanderungen aus der Pfarrei Eichsel-Adelhausen". Perhaps that is the same book? I also understand he has made a CD with all the parish families on it, but he is out of those at the moment (though I would dearly love to have one). I would be grateful to hear if you ever come across any information on the gravesites for Louise and Leonhard. Thanks again.
Tony Kaney - arkaney@excite.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
arkaney1 31 May 2011 2:19AM GMT 
vickie_dejong 11 Jun 2011 12:58PM GMT 
arkaney1 11 Jun 2011 6:34PM GMT 
1_msippy 1 Jul 2012 5:04AM GMT 
arkaney1 1 Jul 2012 8:02AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions