Search for content in message boards

Levi T. Winder and Susie E. Hamilton marriage

Replies: 3

Re: Levi T. Winder and Susie E. Hamilton marriage

Posted: 9 Jan 2012 1:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
While looking for additional information on this person, I see you've only posted 14 messages on the Rootsweb system, at least under this user name. When you post, it's helpful to fully identify your person. I needed his DOB to do some research. Your family tree data is very helpful, post the link(s), (I had done a number of searches and found his story before you posted it). Your tree indicates you have a good grasp at genealogy research and probably don't need my commentary, but the microfilm listing at the bottom might help.

This "marriage" on 19 March 1880 is documented in several resource databases, but they all point back to the original source, the Lander County Vol 1, page 83. His marriage to Mary E. J. Myer is documented on page 90. Documentary evidence is a primary source of research, but like the census, marriage records, etc., it must be proven against other records. I demand exact proof in crime and genealogy. Your FIRST lead would be a review of that book, if not in person, have someone copy/photograph it (and do the other page for your records also). Levi "could" have been a witness versus the groom. "Susie" could have been also. This page "might" have been a listing of marriage applications. I won't "Speculate" suggestions further. Check out this evidence FIRST. The County recorder might have other documents other than this book, wills, deeds, etc. (if it is in the recorder's office and is their record). The County Recorder's office might have a death record book. It might have other recorded documents in either name (Winder or Hamilton). Highly unlikely there is a divorce record at the County Court system.

The 1880 census was enumerated in June 1880 (about three months after the marriage). I did a number of varied searches. Not finding Levi is not unusual. I'm sure you're somewhat familiar with this area. It is remote, sparsely populated even today. Levi could have just been missed, went home to Iowa, etc. There were 15 Sus* in Lander County. I looked for any potential newly wed "Bride," Unfortunately there is no reference in the 1880 census as to length of time married. There are quite a number of "Susie," "Susan," that were not identified by last name, mostly Native American. I looked over any "Lev*" in Nevada, one a Levi Vaughn was in Lander Co, was married to an Isabelle, but no way to determine length of time of marriage, even with children shown.

Other than the marriage notation, there is no evidence Susie existed, married Levi, died or divorced. The 1870 Census shows 381 "Sus*" Hamilton, a number could probably be eliminated due to age, etc., but nothing to indicate any one of them was a correct one. Between 1870 and 1880, the "correct" one could have married a Hamilton first.

I really don't understand the posting of the Nevada library and archives link to seek birth records in Catholic/Episcopal offices. There just isn't any indications to believe this Susie died or was divorced in Nevada. There isn't enough evidence to identify if any Sus* Winder is found that she is the correct person.

As you probably found, the obituary volunteer is the library. The branch in Austin is only open three days a week. Libraries are cutting back doing such research due to cost. Reviewing microfilm copies of a newspaper back to 1880
would be very time consuming and probably prohibitive. If you find this is the case, you might try to obtain the Reese River Reveille microfilms via the Inter-library loan system. Problem being, YOU probably don't want to go down to your library and look through them. Fortunately it was a weekly at that time, and probably not that many pages.
--The U of Nevada has them, 1869-1926:
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84022037/holdings/
--The State Historical Society of Wisconsin:
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83026613/
There may be other locations also.

While the below concerns a Levi T. Winder (you may know or not if this person was related, it doesn't appear he is the "correct" person)
The Bureau of Land Management has a database of land patents:
http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/search/default.aspx#searchTabI...
issued under the Homestead Act (and other Congressional Land Acts).

It shows a Levi T. Winder obtained 40 acres of land on 3/17/1949 (date is corect)
This land was located at Township 19 North, Range 30 East, Section 26, the Northwest corner of the NW Quarter of that section in Churchhill County.
---This link shows a red colored box with a number 26 inside. This is Section 26. A Section is one square mile in size and contains 640 acres. The land involved: Divide this square into quarters, then divide the top left corner (NW Quarter) into quarters. This land was in the top left corner of that Quarter. Or basically, within this entire Section, it was the top left corner. You can zoom out to see the entire area.

Ron Bestrom
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MsAWinder 19 Dec 2011 7:36PM GMT 
judyartley53 9 Jan 2012 5:33AM GMT 
MsAWinder 9 Jan 2012 1:23PM GMT 
RBestrom7380 9 Jan 2012 8:59PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic