Search for content in message boards

Ralph William Grigonis

Replies: 15

Re: Ralph William Grigonis

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 12:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
I just realized I answered someone else's question. Sorry. I would say that I did make some entries to the photos that you have on line placing names and locations to some of the photos.

By the way Jules, who we called Julie was a long haul truck driver for Red Ball. His last name was Sangebush. It was pronounced sing a bush. I am not sure of the spelling. In fact there is some debate of the spelling of my own name among the relatives. in Polish/Russian it would be Gri not Gre. I did study Russian in college and have seen the original court documents.

Now that is a story. Geebow, my grandfather, who had done an apprenticeship as a blacksmith was caught stealing vegetables once too often. Then offended party brought him to the courts and a convoluted judgement was made against him. I didn't see how he could ever work his way out.

That is when he skips town and heads to the US. 5 years later Grandma and the kids sneak out and work their way to the port of Bremen. They escape to the US. At this point Geebow has moved from being the blacksmith for a wealthy family in Upper Montclair to becoming the driver/mechanic. Seems like a natural evolvement. They all live in the quarters for the help. The family was very good to them for many years.

There is just one of many little tidbits that come to mind.

Grandma had 9 children 4 of which died before maturity.

Later,

David
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
thomasker2 22 Feb 2013 4:15PM GMT 
syeasky 22 Feb 2013 6:12PM GMT 
thomasker2 22 Feb 2013 6:17PM GMT 
syeasky 22 Feb 2013 6:32PM GMT 
mypooh10 22 Feb 2013 6:39PM GMT 
mypooh10 22 Feb 2013 7:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions