Search for content in message boards

Gloucester County Militia in Revolutionary War

Replies: 3

Gloucester County Militia in Revolutionary War

Posted: 15 Mar 2002 12:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 17 Mar 2002 8:52PM GMT
Surnames: Gifford
I've been hunting for records for my ancestor Benjamin Gifford who served in the N.J. Militia from Gloucester Co. The National Archives had no record but said check with the State. I wrote the Adjutant General, Trenton, N.J.[no records] who sent my request to the Bureau of Veterans Services, Trenton, N.J. [no luck] who sent my letter to the Atlantic County Interment Office.[no answer]
A distant cousin joined the Sons of the American Revolution in N.J. through this same ancestor in 1937. In his letter of acceptance it mentioned that a Certified copy of Benjamin Gifford's war record from the Adjutant General Office was enclosed, also a copy of pay certificate No. 233.From the small amount I suspect he was in one of the three month enlistment units.
None the less, the Adjutant General Office had those records in 1937 and now noone seems to know where they are. I need some ideas where to go next for these records.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cgoudreau1 15 Mar 2002 7:15PM GMT 
James Smith 16 Mar 2002 8:16PM GMT 
cgoudreau1 16 Mar 2002 10:23PM GMT 
Kay Kesler 2 Feb 2003 5:04AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions