Search for content in message boards

Swift & Co 1895 - 1920

Replies: 2

Swift & Co 1895 - 1920

Posted: 27 Nov 2012 8:06AM GMT
Classification: Query
My great grandfather lived in Harrison and was a butcher for Swift & Co for many years.

I've been trying to pinpoint the location where he worked. My research has turned up 2 Swift locations in Hudson County - one at 138-154 9th Street in Jersey City (where the 9th Street Park is now) and one on Harrison Ave in Kearny.

I believe the Kearny plant is the likely one where "Piggy" (hog butcher from Ireland) Donnelly worked, but I have not been able to locate a street number for that plant. The early city directories do not include a street number - just "Harrison Av, Kearny."

Does anyone have better detail on the location of that plant on Harrison Avenue?

Also, in the course of my research, I found a full, free, eBook on Google Books for the "The Jersey City Development Plant" from January 1920. It includes some old pictures of Jersey City parks and buildings, which may be interesting for those of you researching JC families. My family from JC had moved away or died by that time.

Thanks,
Ann
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BurgessDonnel... 27 Nov 2012 3:06PM GMT 
LogicalOne55 27 Nov 2012 4:28PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 27 Nov 2012 10:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions