Search for content in message boards

Snake Hill / Alms House / Hudson County Asylum

Replies: 21

Re: Snake Hill / Alms House / Hudson County Asylum

Posted: 20 Mar 2014 6:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
My great-grand uncle died of pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) and he was a resident of Hudson County Mental Disease Hospital in Secaucus, New Jersey. There is nothing blacked out on his record. He died in 1941. The place was known as Snake Hill by family. He is buried in Holy Name Cemetery in Jersey City. I got his record at the NJ Archives.

Pulmonary tuberculosis (TB) was very prevalent in Jersey City in the late 1800’s and into the 1900’s. Lost much family from it. But my relative was there because of mental issues for 15 years before he died.

The NJ Archives is a solid source for vital records. It has Birth to 1923. Marriage to 1940. Death to 1955. Cost is 10.00 for a record if you want them to do it or 50 cents if you go there, do the research, and print a copy. The folks there are very helpful and do not do the actual research if you go there, but they do give very good insight. Many a time they have steered me to the record I needed. To date, I have probably located over 100 records there. Either way you look at it 10.00 or .50 it is a good deal. They now handle all record requests for 100 years and more. This is a new change in the past year.

For the record...Jersey City vital records are no longer in Jersey City from the past. A few years back someone was selling the records and since then all records went to Trenton. To confirm, I did stop in the Clerk's Office and was given a verbal confirmation of this. I do not know what the dates of records were all shipped to Trenton. Puerto Rico does not accept any Jersey City record but I think more recent records are accepted in the USA.

familytrace4fsk
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Charlene Fran... 19 Jan 2014 12:56AM GMT 
familytrace4f... 20 Mar 2014 12:28PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions