Search for content in message boards

Crawfords in Monmouth County, New Jersey

Replies: 20

Re: Crawford Family in Holmdel

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 9:11AM GMT
Classification: Query
I is fun to have contact with retives of Gilbert!

I have a copy of a deed and can place Gilbert in Holmdel, two lots from the main intersection and contiguous with the churchyard there. I have been to the grave site many times, but not recently.

In a deed I4/473, the connection is made between Gilbert Crawford and James G. Crawford. In this deed, James and Elizabeth sell the land James' father owned to John I. Taylor (9/28/1843) for $50.00.

This land is described as follows:
In Holmdell, in the Township of Middletown, in the southeast corner of Lot#2; west to the brook, which is the east boundary of the Upper Baptist Meeting Lot. From the same origin, south 36* 1 chain and 94 links to a stake and stone planted, and west to brook, to the southwest corner of lot #2. (1 acre). Bounded north by Lot#2, and the southeast by the road leading from Monmouth to Middletown. This lot was sold to Gilbert out May 9, 1807.(Deed Book R/318)

There is a further deed related to this property, a Hugh Giberson, married to the daughter of Gilbert and Amy, (unknown). This was sold to William G. Crawford.

I learn in the inventory, that he was probably a shoemaker, lived in a two story house.

I read every one of Stillwell's posts, including a direct inquiry about this Gilbert. I have yet to make clear connections. The names of the males in this line are very consistent.

My thinking has always been that these "two" lines, are actually one, but there is little proof of it.

The key to this puzzle is tied up in the churches at Middletown and Holmdel, I am convinced. Amy and a child became memebrs of the Holmdel church not long before Gilbert's passing.

Amy VanCleaf Crawford was received as a member of the Holmdell Baptist Church upon Baptism in 1837. Also on the list is a Gideon and Sarah.

Keep sharing what we all have, and we'll solve the puzzle.

Happy 2013, all!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
alanlungs 28 Dec 2012 12:45AM GMT 
bdel2548 28 Dec 2012 2:38AM GMT 
jerseyside 30 Dec 2012 9:30PM GMT 
jerseyside 30 Dec 2012 10:36PM GMT 
tecbarclay 1 Jan 2013 4:11PM GMT 
alanlungs 1 Jan 2013 7:30PM GMT 
tecbarclay 1 Jan 2013 10:06PM GMT 
jerseyside 1 Jan 2013 11:08PM GMT 
alanlungs 2 Jan 2013 6:11PM GMT 
tecbarclay 3 Jan 2013 1:26AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions