Search for content in message boards

FOUND !! THANK YOU!! Obit Look-ups Please - George J. THOMAS & Lucy THOMAS, his daughter

Replies: 11

Re: Obit Look-ups Please - George J. THOMAS & Lucy THOMAS, his daughter

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 7:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: THOMAS, DEBOW, EIERMANN, JOCKERS
US Navy In Hampton - Hampton Roads area - You're probably thinking of Oceana NAS or Norfolk Navy Base and then there's also the Newport News Shipyard, too. The area probably has the highest concentration of military bases in the whole of the US. Over the years, we've been to that area quite a few times with always the requisite day at Colonial Williamsburg.

Jersy shore - I often wished I'd paid more attention to things as a kid & could remember more but like many I started getting into my family history too late to tap the pool of family knowledge the older generations had. Right now it's making me a bit nutty to consider how close to Sea Girt & Asbury Park I was back in my childhood summers - some relatives had a summer camp down in Tom's River we used to go to for a week practically every summer...if only.

I'm very familiar with amwallace41's tree. Some of what's there came from me; we've worked together in the past.

The other tree ties into DeBow through the marriage of an Eiermann to a Lambert & on his side, an Eiermann married into the Jockers line.

The grandmother of that Lambert who married the Eiermann was the sister of Minnie Thomas nee DeBow who was George Thomas' wife & the mother of Lucy & Alice. travelers172
has been collecting up tidbits ever since we were in contact a year or so back.

The notes on the yellow paper and the pix of George Thomas in travelers172's tree come from amwallace41 who owns the originals.

Unfortunately, I've noticed a bunch of errors small & great in the info travelers172's collected so it's time for a note to let him know what's good and what belongs to some other family in someone else's tree rather than the one he's attached it to.

I've checked all the major cemetery sites for the area down there - Find A Grave, Interments.com, etc. and found nothing but maybe you'll know of some smaller, obscure sites.

It's always so amazing just how much is on the web but some of it's not coded well enough to produce promenent hits during searches...it's out there but very deeply buried. Every now and then I bumble into one of those little gems like the site that has a small cemetery in the Port Jervis, NY area with a couple of burials for folks in my tree & another I just recently found in the Hunter, NY area that has a whole slew of ancestors to an uncle by marriage's family buried in it - names & date, Yipee!

So, I'm going to keep digging and hoping to get lucky with a web search & keep my fingers crossed for those obits.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mindfoggs2 5 Aug 2012 1:54AM GMT 
SEickhorn 5 Aug 2012 12:37PM GMT 
mindfoggs2 6 Aug 2012 6:06PM GMT 
SEickhorn 6 Aug 2012 8:39PM GMT 
mindfoggs2 7 Aug 2012 1:01AM GMT 
SEickhorn 7 Aug 2012 12:20PM GMT 
F_LeCompte 7 Aug 2012 2:45PM GMT 
F_LeCompte 7 Aug 2012 8:06PM GMT 
SEickhorn 7 Aug 2012 11:22PM GMT 
mindfoggs2 8 Aug 2012 12:26AM GMT 
per page