Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth (Allen) Shinn of Upper Freehold

Replies: 0

Elizabeth (Allen) Shinn of Upper Freehold

Posted: 22 Feb 2013 5:36AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Allen Shinn
I am trying to identify the Elizabeth Allen who married James Shinn (1782-1851) in 1809. I have found absolutely no information on her except a marriage record - it provides no information beyond the date and the name of the Justice of the Peace. Tracking down the JP in other records shows that he performed marriages in Upper Freehold which, since it was the home of James Shinn (son of James Nicholas Shinn and Lavina Haines) suggests that Elizabeth is likely also from Upper Freehold. Presumably she would have been born between 1780 and 1790 to make her between 19 and 29 on her marriage date.

James and Elizabeth had one son, Charles Allen Shinn, b. 4 May 1810 and d.1834. Charles is not a family name on the Shinn side so perhaps there was a Charles Allen after whom he was named.

James remarried to Mary Miller (1795-1866) of Gloucester Co. in February 1817, and Mary gave birth to her first child at nearly that same date, suggesting that Elizabeth had died before mid-1816. I've located no death record and no gravesite for Elizabeth.

Although the father of James had been a Quaker (disowned on his second marriage,) I've found no evidence that James was Quaker at the time (the Hinshaw records do not mention him) and Mary Miller was disowned for marriage outside the faith on her marriage to him in 1817. The Shinn family lived in New Egypt in later years.

Any information or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Find a board about a specific topic