Search for content in message boards

Niart Rogers Surveyor of Neptune City & Bradley Beach

Replies: 10

Re: Niart Rogers Surveyor of Neptune City & Bradley Beach

Posted: 22 Jun 2013 5:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rogers
Hard to believe I first posted in this board over ten years ago. I finally found the newspaper clipping to go with the fish and the portraits of Niart and his wife Mary.
I'm sorry this took so long. I will also post the photos on findAgrave, in case there is any problem accessing them here.
~Christina

The text of the clipping reads
(Date Handwritten in pencil - Tuesday June 18, 1896)

Big Striped Bass
Niart Rogers, of Neptune City,
Captures an 18 pounder.

Surveyor Niart Rogers, of Neptune City, is happy today over a very pleasant experience which he had yesterday afternoon. Mr. Rogers is quite a fisherman, and enjoys a few hours sport with the rod and reel. Last Wednesday afternoon he visited the beach near Shark River Inlet, and captured a fine striped bass weighing thirteen pounds.

Yesterday afternoon, having a few hours to spare he decided to try his luck again in the same place. With rod and reel in hand he proceeded to the spot. The line was cast out, and in a few moments Mr. Rogers felt a strong pull. His experience convinced him that is was another bass, and he prepared to land him. After a hard struggle he proved successful. When placed on the scales, it weighted just 8 1/2 pounds.

This is the largest striped bass that has been caught in that vicinity this season.
Mr. Rogers will have his prize photographed today.
Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jerseyside 22 Jun 2013 11:46AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic