Search for content in message boards

Sussex County Parrs in the early 1800s

Replies: 0

Sussex County Parrs in the early 1800s

Posted: 3 Dec 2002 3:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2005 5:55PM GMT
Surnames: PARR
I have found the following information about Parrs of Sussex County, New Jersey in mortgage and land records. I hope other researchers will find it helpful. Through my Parr relatives (John, Lucy, Joseph, Elisabeth, James and Amos) of Laurens, Otsego County New York in the early 1800s, I have connections with ancestors in New Jersey. I am trying to find out who these ancestors were and I am checking out records on any Parrs in New Jersey in the later 1700s and early 1800s.

26 May 1803

A High Sheriff Document

The document deals with the chattels, hereditaments, real estate, houses and land of Esther Hopkins, Ephraim Colver and Jesse Parr.

$1?1.00 is the sum involved. The middle figure is not readable. It could be a 2 through to a 9.

Catharine Insley has claimed damages before judges at Newton.

Hopkins, Colver and Parr were convicted.

119 acres and 5 perches of land and buildings and hereditaments were seized in the Township of Knowlton to cover the damages.

This property was sold by the sheriff to George C Maxwell of the County of Hunterdon for the $320.

1 June 1805

This is a quit claim document in connection with the estate of Barnabas Swayze.

Those quitting claim are:

1. Jesse Parr and his wife Anne and Barnabas Smith of the Township of Oxford in the County of Sussex.
2. Abraham Smith of the Township of Knowlton in the County of Sussex.

Two of these three people are the grandchildren of Barnabas Swayze. It is not known whether Jesse Parr or his wife Anne is the grandchild of Barnabas Swayze.

The deceased, Barnabas Swayze, was from the Township of Oxford in Sussex County.

$56 was paid those who quit claim.

The payment was made by Joshua Swayze of the Township of Oxford in Sussex County.

The quit claim was to a tract of land in the Township of Oxford.

This document also covers three earlier quit claims:

1. On the 1 May 1800 Daniel Smith quit claim to a tract of land in favour of Jesse Parr and his wife Ann.

In this document of 26 November 1805, Jesse Parr and his wife Anne now quit claim to this land in favour of Joshua Swayze.

2. On 28 February 1804 Barnabas Gibbs quit claim to a tract of land in favour of Jesse Parr and his wife Ann.

In this document of 26 November 1805, Jesse Parr and his wife Anne now quit claim to this land in favour of Joshua Swayze.

3. On 3 May 1804 John Gibbs Jr and Gilbert Gibbs quit claim to a tract of land in favour of Jesse Parr and his wife Ann.

In the final signing on the document, Ann Parr does not sign. This suggests that Jesse rather than Ann was the grandson of Barnabas Swayze.

20 February 1809

Land Sale Transaction

Joseph Parr and Anna, his wife, of Knowlton Township, Sussex County sell to Jacob Rice 1 2/4 acres and 10 rods in the Township of Knowlton for $110.

It appears that this deed also covers land that was purchased by Joseph Parr from Thomas Ingram, John Bridger and John Eliot Turner on 5 May 1806 and another purchase by Joseph Parr from Abraham Swhisher Sr on 20 December 1805.

23 July 1813

Mortgage Transaction

Joseph Parr and Anna his wife of Knowlton Township, Sussex County lend $108 to Samuel Read with 1 and 8/100 acres in the Township of Knowlton being the security.

23 July 1813

Mortgage Transaction

Jesse L Parr and Elizabeth his wife of Knowlton Township, Sussex County lend $100 to Samuel Read with 1 acre in the Township of Knowlton being the security.

Find a board about a specific topic