Replies: 9

Re: Sussex County Families

Posted: 9 Feb 2013 5:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Conklin, Babcock
My G-Uncle was Lewis/Louis Conklin:

1910 Census
Wharton borough., Morris Co., NJ

Annie Carpenter (Head) (my G-Aunt) age 46; b. NJ; father b. NJ; mother b. England; occup.: Librarian-borough
Linnie age 40; b. NJ; father b. NJ; mother b. England; occup. : nurse- "dad Joe's" (???)

NEXT DOOR:
Conklin- Lewis Head age 34; occup: Helper- powder mill
Laura- wife, age 35; b. NJ; father b. NJ; mother b. England
Helen (dtr) age 7; b. NJ; parents born NJ

[Laura Conklin was Annie, Linnie, Gussie and Laura Carpenter's sister. My Grandmother Augusta ("Gussie") (Carpenter) Hamler lived with my Grandfather Cornelius Hamler (1850NJ - 1913NJ).
------------------------------------------------------------
1900 Census
Essex Co., 3-WD EAST ORANGE City
Thompson, Angus (August?) b. Oct 1841; b. Maine; parents b. Maine; Occup: Principal- private school
-------Frederick H. b. August 1885; b. Ohio; parents b. Maine. At School
Conklin, Lewis J., b. July 1875; b. NJ; parents b. NJ; occup.: Janitor at school
------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------
1920 Census
Randolph twp., Morris Co., NJ

Lewis Conklin age 44; b. NJ; father b. IRELAND; mother b. IRELAND; speaks English; occup.: Guard, Got (?) Arsenal
Laura age 45, b. NJ; father b. NJ; mother b. Wales-- mother tongue Welsh; occu.: None
Helen age 16 NJ; Father b. NJ; mother b. NJ
================================================

1930 Census
Wharton borough, Morris Co., NJ
Lewis Conklin age 54 (date of birth abt 1876), b. NJ; parents b. NJ. Occup.: shipping clerk, print works
Laura Conklin (wife) age 55; occup.: None; b. NJ; parents b. NJ
[Correction: Mother, Hester (Johns) Carpenter, was born in Wales.]
-------------------------------------------
My Dad, Kenneth Hamler, was fondly affectionate of his "Uncle Lew" whose streetcar he used to to catch. (My Dad was surrounded by women except for his "Uncle Lew.")

In the early years of this family, they lived in Sussex Co., then they moved to Morris County where his Aunt Linnie Carpenter was a woman ahead of her time in that she bought a Maternity Home where the women used to be allowed to come to have their babies, and be taken care of "by the Carpenter sisters" an oddity for the early 1900s. Linnie was a nurse and dealt with the local doctor for difficult cases.

Lewis' younger brother was Webster Conklin, b. 1878, NJ.

---------------------------------------------------
I am also connected, by marriage, to the Babcock family by two marriages: Harry Babcock married Emma Jane (Ackerman)Hamler (wid of Vandevere Hamler) (Sussex Co., NJ) AND
his brother Joseph Babcock who married Sadie Hamler, the daughter of Emma Jane (Ackerman) and Vandervere Hamler ( 1855- 04 Mar 1904). Emma Jane and Harry Babcock then had one son, Harry J. Babcock Jr. b. 1911, NJ, living in Sussex Co., NJ.

The elder Harry Babcock and his wife Emma Jane (Ackerman) (Hamler) Babcock are buried at Andover Cemetery, Sussex Co., NJ.

Please let me know if we are related.

Kathleen Hamler Purchase
LPurch6636@aol.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
WendyJoye 6 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Linda Kissinger 19 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Robert Dolsay 21 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Edward Card 13 May 2001 12:00PM GMT 
seasidegulls 1 Apr 2002 6:53AM GMT 
coachtrack 7 May 2006 1:38AM GMT 
WilliamJGreen 21 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Brian Paulison 21 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
winyan07 4 Nov 2002 10:55PM GMT 
k_purchase 10 Feb 2013 12:25AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions