Search for content in message boards

Seek way to substantiate if David Hamler is brother to William H. Hamler

Replies: 6

Seek way to substantiate if David Hamler is brother to William H. Hamler

Posted: 15 Sep 2012 11:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hamler/Homler/Hambler/Hombler/Homlar
My Dad's first wife introduced me to a man she knew from New Jersey saying that he was related to me. He was a descendent of David Hamler; I am a descendent of David's contemporary, William H. Hamler, b. 1807. For a very long time, I have believed, in fact , that David and William H. Hamler are very probably brothers.

I am from the William H. Hamler line (1807 - 1854, Sussex Co., NJ) and he is from the David Hamler line (1809 - 29 Jan 1886, Sussex Co., NJ).

First of all there are not that many Hamlers in the country, and the first one I find coming from Germany to the US, moved quickly to New Jersey, in 1717 where the family sprouted. My own father was born in New Jersey and had many relatives in New Jersey.

Many things point to David and William H. being brothers. When the Civil War ended, an ancestor from my line was the witness at the wedding of an ancestor from David Hamler's line. Relatives from each line lived out their lives in Sussex, Morris, and Warren Counties, NJ often living very close to each other.

Many of David and William H.'s family are buried at Tranquility Cemetery in Sussex Co., NJ.
David's son, Abner Hamler, is buried very close to William's son, Andrew. Both families
have sons who bear the same middle initial, "H."
(I finally found out what the "H." stands for on a Marriage License; it's the very unusual name: "Hamflour." Does anyone know what the derivation of this name is?? It looks French to me but the family is German.)

I don't have a lot of money to spend on genealogy but I would like to have a way to clarify the relationship between David Hamler (b. 1809) and William H. Hamler (b. 1807.) My father's ex-wife-- who he was on good terms with-- told me of my relationship to a descendent of David Hamler, but never answered my questions any further than that. Both my Dad and his ex-wife are deceased.

*Thanks* for any help or direction.

Kathleen Hamler Purchase
LPurch6636@aol.com
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
k_purchase 16 Sep 2012 5:01AM GMT 
DonnaMilano 1 Oct 2012 4:01PM GMT 
k_purchase 1 Oct 2012 4:20PM GMT 
DonnaMilano 1 Oct 2012 7:09PM GMT 
k_purchase 1 Oct 2012 8:36PM GMT 
meekernj 2 Oct 2012 11:53PM GMT 
k_purchase 3 Oct 2012 3:23AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions