Search for content in message boards

1895 census

Replies: 11

Re: 1895 census

Posted: 28 Nov 2012 2:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm on the mailing list for The Battery Conservancy, and they included pictures in their newsletter. I can't attach here, but the text of the newsletter is pasted below.

For my Irish wall - I was very fortunate that Margaret, the youngest sister of my GGM, arrived in the early 20th century, so her arrival manifest includes the full name and address of my GGM, as well as the name of their townland. Margaret never married and applied for naturalization on her own account - giving me more details about their place of origin. And, my grandfather and my grand-aunt were her witnesses. Margaret died in 1932 and my GGM in 1951, and the names of their parents (matching!) are on both NJ death certificates.

I then went to the Civil Births Registrations microfilms and got the birth records for the 8 children born between 1864 and 1879. There may have been earlier children, since Civil Registration began in 1864, and I have not yet found a marriage record for my 2xg grandparents, Michael McGeraghty and Sarah Anne Hughes.

I found Margaret and her father together in the 1901 and 1911 Irish census records. Margaret emigrated in 1912, so I looked for a death record for a Michael McGeraghty/McGarrity between spring 1911, when the census was taken, and October 1912, when Margaret left home. I think I have found him, and the census records indicate to me that Sarah Anne Hughes McGarrity died between 1879 and 1901, and I think I have found her.

I have multiple other Irish lines, on which I have much less information, but this one gives me hope I may eventually find some of the others.

From the newsletter of The Battery Conservancy:

As you have seen on all the network news and cable channels, the historic Battery took the full force of Storm Sandy as it hit Lower Manhattan Monday evening.

We are here to report that the Park survived this unprecedented storm surge of 13.88 feet of sea water. To date we have lost three mature trees, the fountain is flooded and our 92,000sf of gardens were covered by salt water until the surge receded. Top soil has been lost but no plants were uprooted and the gardens beds are all intact. If there was a glimmer of hope it was the sight of a completely dry sub structure basement of our amazing SEAglass. That brought a smile to all our weary faces.

But we do have heartbreaking news to report, our main offices at One New York Plaza, Plaza Shop Level are completely submerged in flood waters. We have lost everything. All our electronics, furnishings and most importantly our archives and history of 18 years of work are gone. Much critical information is on back up servers but the materials and memories of our journey til now have been literally washed away by the sea.

We are looking for temporary space to keep our work force together and progressing. All gifts of hands, hearts and funds will be most gratefully appreciated.
END QUOTE
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
BurgessDonnel... 28 Nov 2012 9:17PM GMT 
BurgessDonnel... 4 Jan 2013 10:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic