Search for content in message boards

Elizabeth Morton-The Mortonsson Family who settled along the Delaware River

Replies: 6

Elizabeth Morton-The Mortonsson Family who settled along the Delaware River

Posted: 25 Jan 2013 8:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jan 2013 4:09PM GMT
Surnames: Morton, Wakefield
I am trying to understand the court records and family history for Elizabeth Morton, not the dau of John Morton, Signer of the Declaration of Independence. The records for this family stem from the Indians-New Sweden-New Netherland-William Penn-then changes in twp, county, and state boundaries. This is a puzzle that has been going on for years for the Elizabeth Morton Wakefield descendants. I recently ran across 2 records that I am trying to understand. The first one I found on ancestry.com-New Jersey, Abstract of Wills, 1670-1817 however it is from the Calendar of Wills-1761-1770 page 299. This record states:
"1761, Oct. 30. Morton, Elianor, Rebeckah and Elizabeth, of Chester Co., PA, dau of Andrew Morton of said place, deceased. They petition (severally) that they have lands devised to them in New Jersey by will of their uncle, John Morton," it continues but this is the info I have a question on. Is this record in New Jersey for the real estate and the estate and Orphan records in Chester Co., PA? What do you do when records are seperated like this since the root titles stem from a time prior to the states? And if you own land in one state and die in another state? The Mortonssons settled along the Delaware River and land is in 3 states now. Family history has Elizabeth as the dau of John Morton, the signer, and also as the niece of the signer. So the documents I have found may hold a key. John Morton, the signers dau died from consumption, unmarried.
2nd record concerns New Jersey political history. In the DAR genealogy site-lookup for ancestor# A081813 you will find John Morton b 1729-Ireland and died 2-4-1782 Baskinridge, Somerset County, New Jersey. His service is listed as: 1)mem of Comm of 100 2)del to provincal congress. How do you locate documents for this service? John Morton, the signer and a delegate to Cont. Congress has the ancestor # A081814 with different descendants listed. How do you tell if this is the same John Morton? a diffo one? You would think as a founding father and signer of the declaration of independence these records would be correct but I have recently corrected records and all John Morton's the signers descendents from Elizabeth Morton Wakefield are flagged. I have corrected some records for the Society of the Descendants of the Declaration of Independence. Now wouldn't it be nice to find the records if they are in New Jersey? Any help greatly appreciated. Cindy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
coetting57 25 Jan 2013 3:28PM GMT 
curmil 26 Jan 2013 12:03AM GMT 
coetting57 26 Jan 2013 2:43PM GMT 
curmil 26 Jan 2013 4:16PM GMT 
coetting57 26 Jan 2013 3:42PM GMT 
curmil 26 Jan 2013 4:27PM GMT 
coetting57 26 Jan 2013 9:32PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions