Search for content in message boards

SALAZAR, CORDOVA, BACA, OR VACA, and especially PELACHE

Replies: 2

SALAZAR, CORDOVA, BACA, OR VACA, and especially PELACHE

Posted: 7 May 2008 2:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SALAZAR, CORDOVA, BACA, OR VACA, and especially PELACHE
I am new to genealogy and I love it! When I find a missing piece of the puzzle, I am thrilled! Well, folks, I have not been thrilled in quite some time! Proudly, I can trace my Martinez-Martin-Martin Serrano line back to Jerez de Badajoz, Spain 1464. I was elated to get that far back.

Now I am looking for some other (likely)-founding families of New Mexico by the names of Salazar (and/or de Salazar), Cordova, and Baca (Vaca, perhaps in the Cabeza de Vaca line).

The other surname which may have originated in Montenegro, Czechoslovakia, or the Austrian Empire or some other east European country is: Pelache. It looks like none of those, too.

Now - I have scoured through census records and used several gen sites only to come up with a whole lot of nothing.

Teresa BACA born 1841 married Antonio Jose Martinez, nephew of the famous Padre Martinez. Teresa's mother was Candelaria (no maiden name available) born in NM. Teresa & Antonio's son Malaquias Martinez was my great grandfather. I doubt if Teresa is a C de Vaca but I suppose she could be.

James J SALAZAR (an hispanic with an anglicized name in 19th century New Mexico - WHY??) married Rita CORDOVA. They were the parents of my great grandmother, Matilda Salazar who married Malaquias Martinez.

It appears that Rita Cordova and James Salazar were dead by the time Matilda was 18. In a census record she is listed with her little sister and brother as head of household. Matilda's older sister Josefa married the brother of Malaquias, Carlos. They lived very close by.

Pelache is probably the most difficult. Pete Pelache was born abt 1860, came to USA 1895, married a Mexican born immigrant Amelia (no maiden name, also spelled Emilia) abt 1900. They settled in Cameron County Texas via Pete JR (Pedro, at birth). Oldest son Julio is nowhere to be found. Youngest son Antonio settled in San Jose CA. Finding ancestors for Peter SR is practically impossible. I am very very doubtful that his name is Montenegrin, Serbian, Slavic or Czech. It sounds more Turkish, Italian or even Spanish. It could be spelled phonetically. There was one small family who immigrated to New Mexico from Mexico with the name Pelache. It is spelled like this in the copy of the census record. Lorenzo, Margarita and Mercea PELACHE. I wonder if the Pelaches came to Mexico from Turkey, Italy or Spain via Mexico. There are Pelachi families in Uruguay and Argentina and the surname of Peter and Amelia was spelled Pelachi in the earliest census record.

If anyone could help I would be forever grateful. If anyone needs Martin Serrano info I collect names of siblings in all generations. I have many. Happy ancestor hunting to all.

RMAMARTINEZ@YAHOO.COM
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rmamartinez 7 May 2008 8:53AM GMT 
AngelNBarb 13 May 2008 5:34PM GMT 
AngelNBarb 13 May 2008 5:47PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions