Search for content in message boards

Mountain View School and Community Hall

Replies: 0

Mountain View School and Community Hall

Posted: 3 Sep 2008 11:30AM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Macrander, Farnsworth, Crosby, Moore, Baldwin, Tingley
The former schoolhouse at Mountain View on Omega Road, north of US Hwy 60 may be of interest to Catron County, New Mexico researchers.
My uncle, Wayne Orle Macrander, assisted his homesteader neighbors in completing the construction of a Pine log building they had begun the previous fall of 1931, prior to his arrival in the community in 1932. He noticed skid marks where logs had been dragged by a team of horses and pulled from his 640 acre section of newly filed upon mountainous homestead land to the school site about two miles to the southeast.
In 2004, a then elderly gentleman named Wayne who had been named after my uncle, and later attended the log school as a child, related to me how my uncle provided special tools for lap joining and pegging the large diameter logs used to extend the single room building to twice the prvious length after the first season of use. The new room was used among other things, music instruction, led by Floy Elizabeth (Farnsworth), wife of Wayne Orle Macrander, while the other end other end provided classroom space for the one teacher and many students.
The building was also the community gathering place and churches met there as well the 1940s.
In 2004 it was a private residence, owned by a family headquartered in Quemado, NM.
The Mountain View (or Mountainview) locale is north of Omega, a former post office and store site on US Hwy 60 between Quemado and Pie Town. About five miles north and east on a bumpy corridore road. The land for the log hall was donated by Clarence Moore. He also provided water for the school from his well. Mr. Moore later donated a spot for one of the last of the several school teachers, Mr. Baldwin and his family, to build a home on. Mr. Baldwin was also a missionary/preacher and conducted services in the Mountain View community building. Three church denomentations rotated services there every three weeks with a combined service on the fourth Sunday.
Several of the persons who had resided in and around the Mountain View community were buried in the Forest Hill (Taylor) Cemetery to the East. A cousin of Floy Elizabeth (Farnsworth) Macrander is buried at Taylor Cemetery; a Mr. Clarence Claude Crosby, aged 29, who had only arrived from his home near Albion, Nebraska sometime within the previous two years.
Preacher Well, another local landmark, was named after Reverend Tingley, who lived in the area in the early 1930s'.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions