Search for content in message boards

Looking for any info on San Marcial, NM

Replies: 8

Re: Looking for any info on San Marcial, NM

Posted: 16 Jan 2012 5:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Romero, Gonzales, Bustos, Benencia, Archuleta, Chavez, Padilla, Garcia
One of the resources that most people don't think about is the u.s. federal census.

Some of my family were also born or lived in San Marcial before they were washed away and I have seen many federal census for that area.

Also, you can go to hgrc-nm.org they have a large database of names from New Mexico only. The only thing about that database is that you have to look for a specific name or spelling. There are many variations of names because of the reasons mentioned previously. But, I have noticed that if I am diligent and search every possible name variation sometimes you get a great reward of finding the person you are looking for.

Another place, if your family or ancestors were catholic is the church records. The Catholic church was very meticulous about keeping baptismal records (usually within days of birth) and it will state in the records how old the baby was when baptised. They also kept Marriage and death records. If you are lucky, you will find a baptismal or marriage record that lists parents and grandparents.

I wish you luck in your journey. . .you will need it! Be patient, it is a very long journey. Many times leading you on the wrong path. Make sure you keep records of where you have been so you wont repeat your steps.

If you can afford it joining ancestry.com is a great help because they automatically search for any names that you enter on your tree.

Aveli
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
mysimon4 30 May 2010 6:18AM GMT 
jdwasson 30 May 2010 12:42PM GMT 
mysimon4 30 May 2010 4:19PM GMT 
jdwasson 30 May 2010 4:34PM GMT 
mysimon4 31 May 2010 10:08PM GMT 
jdwasson 1 Jun 2010 12:23AM GMT 
mysimon4 1 Jun 2010 4:00AM GMT 
xpert_billing... 12 Jan 2012 5:38AM GMT 
avelisquilts6... 17 Jan 2012 12:16AM GMT 
per page