Search for content in message boards

Anitio (b.1849) and Concepcion Garcia

Replies: 1

Re: Anitio (b.1849) and Concepcion Garcia

Posted: 19 Jun 2012 12:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
This to consider with NM records: No formal system of keeping birth,death,marriage records existed before 1919;census records are often terrible;if the census taker did not speak Spanish or was unfamiliar with Spanish names,the spellings of things can be pretty awful-be very liberal with spellings when searching! Letters are "interchangable"-"B" and "V","S" and "Z"--one must figure it out. Ages,number of children etc. will vary census to census,depending on who gave the information to the census taker and how much they knew, and how well the census taker did his or her job--sometimes I think they just didn't care a whole lot about what they wrote down.
That said-I think the family you are searching for is Timoteo and Concepcion Lopez Garcia.
www.familysearch.org has a few databases of NM records;within those records I see a marriage record for:
Timoteo Garcia,son of Gregorio Garcia and Francisca Sanchez,married on Nov.18,1872 at San Ignacio Mission,Monticello,Sierra Co.,NM to Concepcion Lopez daughter of Jose "Lopes" and Juana "Gonsales".

1900 census Socorro Co.,NM
Garcia-Timoteo-born Apr.1850;NM
wife-Concepcion-born June 1854;NM;married 23 yrs;19 children born,5 living
son-Daniel-born Feb.1878
son-Gregorio-born Oct.1886
son-Procopio=born Nov.1890
son-Jesus Maria-born Dec.1893
daughter-Maria-born Mar.1896
mother-Juanita Lopez-born Jan.1840--{one assumes the mother of Concepcion}

Upon further inspection of the 1910,I think it very likely says "Timoteo".

1885 Socorro Co.,census:
Timoteo,Concepcion,Francisca,Daniel,Virginia,Manuela and an "adopted son" named Melquiades age 12.

1880 census Socorro Co. Timoteo,"Consoncion",with children Francisquita age 5 and Daniel age 1.

Also on familysearch, there is a death record for:
Virginia Barreras: born abt.1881,died Feb.12,1929 in McKinley County;wife of Genaro/Jenaro;daughter of Timoteo Garcia and "Consension" Lopez
{In the 1930 census,Concepcion lives in McKinley county with a nephew,and the children of Virginia Barreras are also in the home.}

Daniel Garcia died on Sept.24,1924 apparently in a mining accident: death place given as "Richards Mine,McKinley Co.,NM",father Timoteo-spelled badly-who was born in San Marcial,NM and Concepcion Lopez-spelled badly-born Lemitar,NM. He is buried in Hillcrest Cemetery in Gallup-(there is also a memorial to him on findagrave.com and Concepcion is listed there as well, having died Nov. 7,1931 in Gallup-parents on death record given as Jose Lopez and Juanita Concepcion Lopez)

I did not find Concepcion in 1920,nor Timoteo; given that Concepcion was living with extended family in 1930, Timoteo almost certainly had died by that year.
There is a database of Socorro county death certificates on familysearch.org ,but they are not indexed nor in order, so it would take some time to go through one by and one and see if he is there.
There are also a few records of christenings of babies of Timoteo and Concepcion on familysearch--but again-be liberal with spellings!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
omanam1 17 Jun 2012 5:35PM GMT 
jdwasson 19 Jun 2012 6:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions