Search for content in message boards

Susquehanna Valley Home

Replies: 5

Re: Susquehanna Valley Home

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 2:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Peer/ Smith
Hi,
I realize your post is very old. I wonder if you are still willing to do a very little bit of research for me? There was a huge injustice done to my great Aunt Ruth (the sister of my grandmother) back in abt.1909. Ruth Ann Smith was born 20 Aug 1900 in Millburn, New Jersey and was given away, for no obvious reason, to her mother's sister who was married to a David R. Peer when she was just 9 years old. She had other younger siblings who remained with her parents. I then found her (Ruth Peer) in a census at the Susquehanna Valley Home in Broome, NY shortly after. My great grandmother, then adopted a boy OUTSIDE of the family. As you can imagine, this caused irreparable feelings between Ruth and her mother. They never spoke again. No one in the family knew about the orphanage. I read in records that apparently the Peer family is a very reputable family from Denville, NJ. and apparently a letter was written explaining the particulars of the situation. It sounds as if by a saddened sister-in-law of David R. Peer's, possibly on her death bed. I understand this letter is in the museum in Denville. I have spoken with them several times egarding the letter and they promise to get back to me, but I never hear from them. Today I saw your old post and wondered if you could help. Ruth Ann Smith/Peer died the 31 Mar 1980 in Saint Petersburg, Pinellas, Florida. If you are able to search the library for any information I would be so appreciative. I thank you so much for your time,
Lisa Holloway Haas Purinton
South Burlington, Vermont 802-859-9227
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ovencleaners 11 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT 
Patricia_Kron... 19 Jul 2001 9:41PM GMT 
ovencleaners 20 Jul 2001 1:49AM GMT 
Patricia_Kron... 20 Jul 2001 4:43PM GMT 
kvrichardson2 8 Apr 2010 7:58PM GMT 
lostinthepast 20 Dec 2012 9:34PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions