Search for content in message boards

murder in frewsburg ny

Replies: 16

Re: Murder in Frewsburg, NY

Posted: 9 Jun 2008 7:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
The following article appeared on Page 11 of the Warren Times Mirror on Wednesday, January 15, 1958:
---------------------

"ARGUMENT OVER WASHING MACHINE LED TO MURDER"

Confessed slayer Donald Warner testified yesterday it was after an argument over a new washing machine that he bludgeoned his wife and left her to die in a bathtub September 12.

After considerable objection to a recount of Warner's oral confession by the Forest County State Troopers, Officer Foreman told this account:

Two days before the murder the young couple argued in their Jamestown apartment over a new washing machine. Explaining that he didn't make that kind of money, Warner added that "a copper tub is good enough for you."

The couple argued and wife, Winnifred, 18, and pregnant, marched out. When she came back they argued again. The next day when Warner returned he found his wife had gone to her mother's home in Frewsburg.

He packed his clothes in the car and drove there the morning of the next day September 12. The slayer asked for lunch and his wife began to prepare it. While she was peeling potatoes he went to the cellar and picked up a board.

Back in the kitchen he walked up behind her and asked once more if she would not come home. When she said no he beat her over the head until the board broke. Then in complete panic he carried her to the bathtub and ran some water.

Later he fled by auto to Ohio but could not sleep because "Every time I closed my eues I saw her face". He drove on to Franklin, Pa., telephoned Jamestown police he was giving himself up, and was apprehended as he headed north on Route 62 at Tionesta.

Chautauqua County, N.Y. District Attorney O'Connor tied up the loose ends of the case as a Frewsburg neighbor reported she saw Warner spend about one-half hour at the Doud home the day of the murder. Pictures of the grisley crime scene were introduced as evidence over strong objections of Defense Attorney Joseph Gerace. Also introduced was a broken board, over strong objections.

The dying girl was discovered by her brother when he returned from school. She died in an ambulance on the way to the hospital. Warner faces a charge of second degree murder.
---------------------------
The above paragraphs were transcribed directly from the news article. If anyone would like a photo copy of the article and/or the front page of the newspaper, you may contact me directly at wardwhite@roadrunner.com and I will email it to you. Even though I am in California, I was able to find the newspaper containing the article since I research items related to Frewsburg, NY, my home town.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
GeneSmith91 9 Jun 2008 5:37PM GMT 
WardWhite79 9 Jun 2008 7:48PM GMT 
WardWhite79 10 Jun 2008 1:38AM GMT 
WardWhite79 10 Jun 2008 2:10AM GMT 
WardWhite79 10 Jun 2008 2:46AM GMT 
WardWhite79 10 Jun 2008 3:04AM GMT 
deedavidson97 11 Jun 2008 12:18AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions