Search for content in message boards

Wealthy (Bill) Allen - widows pension - Ichabod "Elias" Allen

Replies: 2

Wealthy (Bill) Allen - widows pension - Ichabod "Elias" Allen

Posted: 21 Jan 2003 5:30PM GMT
Classification: Pension
Edited: 28 Dec 2005 10:25AM GMT
Surnames: Allen, Lidell, Lydell, Bill
The data below is from and was abstracted by Judy (Allen) Cwiklinski, if you use this information on the web or in your records I would appreciate hearing from you (JudyKCski@aol.com) & credit at least for transcribing this information & making it available to you. I would also like correspondence in descendants of Ichabod "Elias" & Wealthy (Bill) Allen. Judy

The information below are from a set of 12 microfilms purchased by my cousin Ron Lewis from the National Archives (#M804-37) -"Revolutionary War, Pension and Bounty Land Warrant" (Film has only ALLEN's (Ichabod-Jason) the film are exact records as those sent to patrons who purchase Pension records from the National Archives - Pennsylvania Ave., Wash. DC - Judy K. (Allen) Cwiklinski

Ichabod is also known as "Elias" Allen in census records - Otsego Co., NY.

Ichabod Allen (wife Wealthy)
B.L. Reg. 127696
National Archives card - act of 1855 Rejected 127696 - Veteran: Ichabod Allen - Pvt. - Capt. Warner Downes, Seth Warner, Dorrance Conn. Mil.

(selected records):
======================
Widows Declaration:
State of NY County of Cortland on this 7th Day of May AD 1855 personally appeared before me, E.W. Edgcomb a Notary Public within and for the County and State aforesaid, Wealthy Allen, aged Eighty years a resident of Taylor Cortland Co. in the State of New York who being duly sworn according to law, declares, that she is the widow of Ichabod Allen deceased, who was a Private commanded by Warner Downes in the 1st Connecticut Regiment of the war of the Revolution That her said husband served at a different time and places on or about the year of 1776 and 1777 AD for a term of "the time she is unable to state" and continued to actual service in said war for the term of (blank) and was honorably discharged (blank) at (blank) on or about the (blank) day of (blank) AD (blank as will appear by (blank) She further states that she was married to the said Ichabod Allen in Springfield Otsego Co. NY in the month of May 1789 by Elder Forman a Baptist Priest and that her name before her said marriage was Wealthy Bill that her said husband died in Otsego County on the Twenty fifth day of November AD 1828 and that she is still a widow "Proof of her marriage and his death is filed in the Pension office with her application for a pension under act 7th July 1838 - That she has never applied for nor received under this or any other act of congress any bounty land warrant."

She makes this declaration for the purpose of obtaining the bounty land to which she may be entitled under the Act 3d Mar 1855 - attest - Ichabod G Allen Wealthy (her X mark) Allen Sworn to and subscribed before me the day and year above written, and I certify that I have no interest in the result of the case and am not concerned in its prosecution

E W Edgcomb Notary Public

We Ichabod G Allen and Arwin B Allen residents of Taylor in the state of new York upon our oaths, declare that the foregoing declaration was signed and acknowledged by Wealthy Allen in our presence and that we believe, from the appearance and statements of the applicant, that she is the identical person she represents herself to be "and is now a widow"
Ichabod G. Allen (signed)
Arwin B. Allen (signed)

==========================
State of Connecticut
Comptrollers office
Hartford March 10th 1838

I certify that on application for evidence of service of Ichabod Allen in the war of the Revolution in Capt. Seth Warner company in 1776 and in the 1st Conn. Regt in 1780 I have examined the documents remaining in this office and paid A. Pay abstract of a company of Mareens (meaning Marines - JAC) on Bord the Trumbull Valley commanded by Capt. Seth Warner, taken from the Regt (can't view folded under at crease) Knox Brewer, irons, Whitcomb & Woodbridge, comensing <sic.> on the day of their entering on board do Galley, and ending on the 25th day of November 1776" The names of the officers are entered on the abstract but those of the Marines & seamen are not. Then are entered Mareens & Seamen, 22 Mareens, 1 Pilot. The service credited extends from Sept 9th to Nov 25th 1776 76 days.

I also paid the name of Ichabod Allen on a Pay Roll under the following heading, vis. "Pay Roll of the New Services" in Capt. Dorrances Company, 1st Connecticut Regiment December 1780" where the said Allen is credited with service is a private from July 1st to Dec 15th 1780 = 5 months 15 days.

Alex Merrell Comptroller
by Geo Robinson Clerk
=======================

State of Connecticut
Comptrollers office
Hartford June 9th 1856

I certify that on application for additional evidence relating to the service of Ichabod Allen in the war of the Revolution, that I have made farther examination of the records in this office and find it stated on the roll that said Ichabod Allen belonged to the town of Stonington in Connecticut

The service performed by the said Allen is credited on the roll from July 1st to Dec 15th 1780 = 5 months 15 days.

Edward Prentice Comptroller
by Geo Robinson Clerk
===================

State of New York
County of Cortland

On this 14 day of May AD 1856 personally appeared before the undersigned a Notary Public within and for the county aforesaid, Wealthy Allen a resident of Taylor in the county of Cortland and state of New York who being duly sworn according to law doth depose and say. "That she is the widow of Ichabod Allen deceased that she made declaration for a pension as his widow under the act of July 7th 1838 - in the year 1845 and that she made application for Bounty Land under act March 3d 1855 - as the widow of the said Ichabod Allen deceased. "
"This deponent further says that she has no Public or Private record of her marriage to her said husband Except the one she cut from her family Bible and attached to her declaration for a Pension in the year 1845. That her husband the said Ichabod Allen Resided in Stonington in the sate of Connecticut in the War of the Revolution --

Wealthy (her X mark) Allen
============================

State of New York
County of Cortland

On this 14th day of May AD 1856 personally appeared before the undersigned a Notary Public within and for the county aforesaid, Simon Lidell <sic.> a resident of Taylor in the county of Cortland and State of New York who, being duly sworn according to law, doth depose and say "That he has been well acquainted with Ichabod Allen & Wealthy Allen of Taylor Cortland County NY from childhood. That the said Allen was an Uncle to this deponant that he has frequently heard the said Allen say that he was a soldier in the War of the Revolution.

This deponant further says that the said Allen lived in the time of the Revolution in Stonington Connecticut

Simeon Lidell (his signature as written - JAC)
=====================

State of New York
County of Cortland

On this 14 day of May AD 1856 personally appeared before the undersigned a Notary Public within and for the county aforesaid, Ichabod G Allen aged 54 years a resident of Taylor in the county of Cortland and state of New York who, being duly sworn according to law, doth depose and say
"That he is a son of Ichabod Allen deceased and Wealthy Allen of Taylor Cortland County NY" "That his mother the said Wealthy Allen made application for a Pension under the act of July 7th 1838 as the widow of Ichabod Allen deceased and to establish her marriage & the birth of her children she cut from her family bible the record of her marriage & birth of her children and attached the same to her declaration for Pension in the year 1845 and handed the same over to her agent E W Edgecomb " "This deponent further says that he well recollects of hearing his father say he was a soldier in the war of the Revolution and service with Capt. Seth Warner on Lake Champlain and in the time of the Revolution his father resided in Stonington in the sate of Connecticut.

Ichabod G Allen (his signature)

EW Edgecomb Notary Public
===================

No 127696
Pension Office Aug 15 1856

Sir
I have again examined the claim of Wealthy Allen for bounty & find no evidence identifying her husband, Ichabod Allen, as a soldier who performed the service claimed. If the soldier entered the service from Stonington CT proof should be filed that her husband resided in Stonington during the war & proof of his reputation as a soldier should be filed. The town records of Stonington may throw some light upon the subject. As the case stands there is no evidence ensuing to prove her husband a residence of Stonington or that he was the person whose services are described on that he was the person whose services are described on the Certificate of the Comptroller of CT

Yours Respectfully

C H Rhett for Commissioner

J. H. Withey Esq
Cortland Village NY
================
(unselected records): It use to be that the below files were never sent when Pension files unless requested and with added fee - JAC

State of NY
County of Cortland
On this 24th Day of May AD 1856 personally appeared before the undersigned, a Justice of the Peace within and for me the County and State aforesaid, Eleazor W. Edgcomb a resident of Cortlandville in the county of Cortland and sate of New York who, being duly sworn according to law doth depose and say "That he has been well acquainted with Wealthy Allen widow of Ichabod Allen of Taylor Cortland Co NY for upward of twelve years last past. That this deponent made applications for the said Wealthy Allen widow of Ichabod Allen deceased under the act of July 7 1838 for a pension and sent the original family record of the said Ichabod Allen and Wealthy Allen marriage which had the birth of their children and said family record was attached to the said Wealthy Allens declaration for a pension and sent by this deponant to Alexander Ray, Esq Washington D.C. on the 14th day of April 1846 with direction for him to give the same on the Pension Office application made to account for the absense <sic> of the same of the said and for my record of the said Ichabod & Wealthy Allen

E. W. Edgcomb
===================

State of New York
County of Cortland

On this 17th day of March AD 1856 personally appeared before the undersigned a Notary Public within and for the county aforesaid, Simon Lidell & Pruby Lidell <sic. JAC> residents of Taylor in the county of Cortland and State of New York who, being duly sworn according to law, doth depose and say. "That they have been well acquainted with Ichabod Allen & Wealthy Allen of Taylor Cortland County NY for upwards of sixty years past and that they lived and cohabitated <sic> together as husband and wife, ever since their acquaintance with them until the death of the said Allen and that he died on or about the year 1828 leaving his wife the said Wealthy Allen his widow here surviving who still remains his widow and resides in Taylor Cortland Co. NY

Simeon Lidell
Pruby Lidell (their signatures exactly as written-JAC)

EW Edgcomb, Notary Public
===================

Washington Sept 26 / 56
Hon J Minot
Court of Pension

Sir. I beg leave to file herewith a power of atty in the suspended bounty land case of Wealthy Allen, widow of Ichabod under the act of March 3 1855 No 127.696 filed from New York I also enclose a letter from EW Edgecomb Esq. to which I beg leave to call your attention as it shows that he filed the claim of said Wealthy Allen under the act of July 7, 1838 which was rejected at the time because only 5 months 15 days service appeared.

I call attention to your letter of Aug 5, 1856 in which you call for evidence showing that Ichabod Allen was a reputed Revolutionary soldier and that he was a Stonington (Conn) man -
Your attention is called to the testimony of Simeon Lidell & Ichabod G. Allen Now on file, answering both these requirements and which testimony does not appear to have been considered.

Respectfully
Benj. H. Baldwin
==================

Cortland Village NY
Sept 22 1856

Sir
I enclose you a letter of substitution from J. H Withey Esq agent for Wealthy Allen widow of Ichabod Allen deceased.

Mrs Allen made application for pension under act of July 7 1838 & sent her papers to Alexander Ray Esq. Washington DC April 14 1846 and I Rec'd a letter from him that he had filed said papers with the pensions office within one week from the time he resided there.

Her claim was rejected on the ground that the comptrollers certificate of Connecticut only showed the service of Ichabod Allen 5 months & 15 days.

In the Spring of 1855 she made application for Bounty Land under the act of March 3d 1855 and refered to the commission of Pensions to her former declaration for a pension.

There is 2 certificates from the Comptrollers of Connecticut filed in the Pension office one that Ichabod Allen served 5 months & 15 days and the other that said 5 months & 15 days and that he was of Stonington Conn

The affadavits of Simeon Lidell, Ichabod G Allen & Wealthy Allen in the affadavits 14th May 1856 testify that Ichabod Allen bore the reputation of a Revolutionary soldier and that he resided in Stonington Conn in the time of the Revolution.

In the Report of the Commission Aug 5 1856 he refered Mrs Allen to the town record of Stonington for some light on the subject. The comptroller report states that Ichabod Allen was from Stonington. Now if the town clerk of Stonington would fortefy <sic-JAC> that Ichabod Allen lived in Stonington in the time of the Revolution What light would that add.

I wish you would examine all of the papers filed in the case and I have no doubt but that the examiner will feel are changed to allow her claim

I am very respectfully your obedient servant
W. W. Edgcomb

B H Baldwin Esq.
Washington D.C.
==================
Note by Judy:
2 other papers pretty much identical to others asking them to please examine all the papers and change their minds about letting Wealthy have a claim.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
judycski 22 Jan 2003 12:30AM GMT 
Anne Townsend 8 Apr 2003 10:45PM GMT 
barbb37 29 Sep 2013 2:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic