Search for content in message boards

Native American Ancestry- Wright, Hammond surnames

Replies: 1

Native American Ancestry- Wright, Hammond surnames

Posted: 26 Apr 2008 8:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm trying to unravel a mystery concerning George H Wright (approx 1852- 1933) who lived in Sidney most of his life.

The 1880 census (in which his name is given as John Wright) lists his color as "Mu" and unnamed pictures of his mother appear to be of a Native American.

A copy of his death certificate identifies his birthplace as Colchester, identifies his father as Daniel Wright, born in Delhi, and his mother as Sally Hammond, born in Hamden.

Checking the census, the family of Daniel and Sarah Wright appreads to be centered in Masonville and children's names and ages appear to morph dramatically from one census to the necxt. In addition, I don't see a George with the family until 1870, when he is 18 years old.

My question is how to determine whether Daniel Wright or Sally Hammond were Native Americans or whether they were simply adoptive/foster parents, and George's biological parents are elsewhere. I find it hard to believe that a family based in Masonville had a son born in Colchester (which had a native American village at some point).

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has for trying to figure this out.

Thanks,
Max
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MaxWard44 27 Apr 2008 2:48AM GMT 
rwrightAlive 31 Dec 2012 12:16AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions