Search for content in message boards

SMITH BROTHERS COUGH DROP FAMILY of Poughkeepsie, New York

Replies: 3

Re: SMITH BROTHERS COUGH DROP FAMILY of Poughkeepsie, New York

Posted: 1 Aug 2003 3:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Apr 2004 7:52PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH LANCASTER
My father, William Wallace Smith 2nd, was first married to Olive Lancaster, September 1912. There were no children from this marriage. Not long after they were married, Olive was admitted to Hudson River State Hospital. Some years later the marriage was annulled. William later married my mother. William was the grandson of William (1st) and Andrew, known as Trade and Mark (from their pictures on the cough drop box). William later became president of Smith Brothers
=============
Thank you so much for this history. I had learned more about OLIVE LANCASTER through the Poughkeepsie Library and Vassar since my original posting. What a tragedy about Olive. I presume this hospital was for the mentally ill. Did she die in this hospital April 1, 1951? They must have been married for at least five years. Here is what Vassar sent.

Subj: Re: LANCASTER/RUSSELL - Poughkeepsie Rural Cemetery
Date: 3/21/03 8:02:18 PM Pacific Standard Time
Lancaster, Olive H. (Vassar Class of 1912)
Mrs. Olive L. Smith
No address given
Phi Beta Kappa
Married William W. Smith
====================
4-1-03
VASSAR COLLEGE sent:
1) obituary for WILLIAM WALLACE SMITH, 2nd, husband of OLIVE LANCASTER SMITH (see WILLIAM WALLACE SMITH)
2) NEWSPAPER items for OLIVE R. SMITH (Mrs. William Wallace Smith, 2nd)
COURIER, Dec. 14, 1919
MRS. SMITH NAMED
Will become Member of Board of Charity Commissioner on January 1st.
Mrs. Olive R. Smith, wife of William W. Smith is to be the new member of the Board of Charity Commissioners to succeed Mrs. John F. Dougherty, whose term will expire December 31. Mayor Butts last night announced that he had fully decided upon the selection of Mrs. Smith.
Mrs. Smith has long been an officer of the Associated Charities in Poughkeepsie and is familiar with this line of work. Her husband is the grandson of Poughkeepsie's most prominent philanthropist, who was deeply interested in uplift work up to the time of his death.
===
STAR, Jan. 23, 1919
GREAT WORK
FOR CHARITY
ASSOCIATED BOARD HAS ANNUAL MEETING
MRS. W. W. SMITH, 2ND, CHOSEN PRESIDENT
(excerpt)
Mrs. William W. Smith, 2nd, was electred president of the board of ASSOCIATED CHARITIES at the annual meeting held in the rooms of the organization in Academy street last night. Other officers elected were:
Vice presidens, Samuel E. Robinson, Henry V. Pelton and J. Doherty; secretary, Mrs. Henry A. Gribbon; treasurer, Frederick N. Morgan; chairman of the case committee Henry V. Pelton; vice chairman, Mrs. Henry A. Gribbon;
finance committee, Frank L. Sweetser and John J. Doherty.
============
3) notification to VASSAR of OLIVE LANCASTER SMITH's death
4)Page yearbook - OLIVE HAWORTH LANCASTER, Worcester, Mass. (photo) "Just thrills and thrills and thrills."
5) VASSAR questionnaire - biographical - address register dated May 10, 1919.
Maiden name: OLIVE H. LANCASTER class: 1912
Husband's full name SMITH, WILLIAM W. date of marriage: Sept. 24, 1912 children: none listed-
Husband's occupation: Manufacturer
War Work: 1918 Newport, Rhode Island Home Service Red Cross volunteer work
1919 Poughkeepsie, NY Home Service Red Cross volunteer work
Present Occupation: At home
Other interests and activities: Social service work (Secy Dutchess county Child Welfare Board, Pres. Poughkeepsie Associated Charities and a member of other boards doing social work)
=========

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jacqueline Sl... 4 Mar 2003 3:16AM GMT 
Janet Smith Daniel 1 Aug 2003 7:41PM GMT 
JacquelineSle... 1 Aug 2003 9:52PM GMT 
JacquelineSle... 2 Aug 2003 5:58PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic