Search for content in message boards

Buffalo, NY birth records?

Replies: 3

Buffalo, NY birth records?

Posted: 12 Feb 2013 12:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 12 Feb 2013 12:13PM GMT
Surnames: Snowball
My g.g.grandfather, John Snowball, a carpenter journeyman, was summoned to Newcastle-upon-Tyne's Bankruptcy Court on two occasions. By the second hearing, held on 15th October 1850 he was already on board a ship, the 'Lord London' bound to New York, which duly arrived on 1st October.

The 'Lord London' passenger lists show John and his wife and two children but where John has taken his brother's name, George and the others in his party were similarly all under different names (his son, John Thomas is shown as Thomas, his daughter Eleanor Mary is recorded as Mary and his wife, Sarah, assumes his brother's wife's name, Jane). They stayed in the USA until 1857, thus falling between the 1850 and 1860 censuses.

However, I have reason to believe they came to live and work in Buffalo, NY State and certainly two further children were born in the USA. The first Hannah Augusta Snowball in 1853, followed by George Laidler Snowball in 1854. Upon Hannah's death in 1899, her husband Joseph Marshall and her three children visited the US and headed to Buffalo. It could well have been a visit to Hannah's birthplace.

Is there any way of establishing Buffalo as the place of Hannah Snowball's birth? Are such birth records in existence in Buffalo (especially as early as 1853) and is access to them easy from the UK? I've tried various websites to Buffalo genealogy sites but there are many dead links.

Any help or suggestions gladly welcomed. Thanks.

Steve
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
stevesnowball... 12 Feb 2013 7:13PM GMT 
brendon141 13 Feb 2013 1:22AM GMT 
stevesnowball... 13 Feb 2013 9:30AM GMT 
riven37 18 Feb 2013 7:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions