Search for content in message boards

Charles George Gappell AKA "Sarge Cole"

Replies: 0

Charles George Gappell AKA "Sarge Cole"

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 1:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gappell/ Gapelle/ Cole
I am searching for the final whereabouts of my great uncle Charles G. Gappell, from Malone, NY who went by the alias of "Sarge Cole". He was born in 1896 and in the mid 1920s-1930s, he drove long distance automobiles, often handcuffed to the steering wheel, to demonstrate the endurance of the particular auto brand. He also claims to have been in Hollywood as a stuntman, and as a trainer. He was a lifeguard in Rockaway Beach, Long Island, NY around 1920 or so. I have him in newspaper articles until the early 1930s and then can not find him anywhere after that. He must've settled somewhere, had neighbors, some sort of income, been buried by someone in some town?! He does not show up on the 1930 or 1940 census that I can find as he travelled around alot and gave his mother's address in Malone as a permanent address. In her obituary in 1935, it lists him as living in South Carolina but I haven't found anything with that info. I don't know if he continued to go by Sarge Cole or ever went back to his given birth name. He even fathered a child in Ohio and the hospital has him as Sarge Cole! If you've ever come across an old newspaper article, found belongings in an old attic or garage sale, or know of this individual (he may have married again, tho' he left 2 previous wives "abandoned"!), please contact me...he's one of my mystery ancestors! Thank you, LLaPage

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions