Search for content in message boards

Zerviah Newcomb Bearce's diary

Replies: 5

Re: Zerviah Newcomb Bearce's diary

Posted: 13 Feb 2013 5:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Yes the diary, what has survived, is in the National Congress of American Indians Archives in Washington D.C.

Franklyn/Franklin "Elwatum" Bearce(? there are few spellings of this surname to same family line); in 1920'S or 30's submitted documents to Congress, for the opportunity that the Schagticoke Nation might be given Federal Status. Congress denied this request. In the 1950'S other "attempts" were made for such Fed. Recognition, eventually this request was honored, and the Schagticoke Reservation is in the area of Kent, CT. today.

Evidence provided ie "the diary remnants" were date analyzed, and some of the paper originated from the time(s) of the life of Zerviah Newcomb, known to have made paper, and also in a remote Parish, accounts for rude paper "of the day" owned by someone of "privilige".... this analysis in part played a key role in the reversal of the initial denial by Congress to grant this Nation "Recognition" by USA.

I am also a descendant of this Bearse line, through Simeon Gray/Grey a great, great, great-grandfather to my family. I am a member of the Oneida Nation, and of Mohican/Mun-see Nations.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
cath judd 27 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
lvninjas1 22 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Bruce Cox 7 Nov 2001 9:15PM GMT 
Scott O'Connor 8 Nov 2001 6:58AM GMT 
bn_cannon_007 14 Feb 2013 12:19AM GMT 
Jason Clark 9 May 2014 3:13AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic