Search for content in message boards

ANGUS MONROE b.1750 Orange Co., NY d. 1820 West Milford, NJ

Replies: 2

ANGUS MONROE b.1750 Orange Co., NY d. 1820 West Milford, NJ

D.Michael Iradi (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2003 8:35PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for any info. on the ancestry of Angus Monroe and his wife Margaret (Holmes?) I can be emailed directly at d.m.iradi@wanadoo.fr Thanks! Dominic Michael Iradi (i.e. Michael)

This is what I have to date:
ANGUS MONROE, b.1750 in Orange Co., NY? d.1820 in West Milford, NJ. He m. 25 April 1780 in Warwick (Orange Co.), NY Margaret Holmes (b.1748 in Orange CO., NY d.1845 in West Milford, NJ.)
An “Angles Monrow” (i.e. Angus Monroe) of Franklin in (the then) Bergen Co. is listed in the 1793 NJ Militia Census. I’m assuming that he was in the States during or before the Revolution (being 26 years old at its onset), and therefore fought since he was married only 4 years after the Revolutionary War began in Orange Co., which was a strongly revolutionary/ patriotic region. D.A.R. and Revolutionary War battalion/salary records will have to be checked to verify this. An origin of Orange Co., NY could also suggest an even earlier New England origin for the family.
Angus Monroe is identified as the father of Duncan Monroe thru family tradition; one branch of Duncan’s descendants had orally passed down that “the people buried in the West Milford, NJ Presbyterian Church Cemetery were our ‘Monroe ancestors,’ ” although they had since forgotten exactly how, despite the fact that they would still occasionally ‘visit the graves.’ Geraldine Christopher (b.1930) of the Paterson, NJ branch (closer to West Milford than the other ‘E. Hanover branches’) clearly remembers hearing this from her spinster great-aunts Mabelle Monroe (b.1896 d.1947) and Minnie Monroe (b.1883 d.1956), as well as her own mother. (Incidentally, it is one of those spinster aunts who, while fighting with the other and in a fit, took the Monroe Family Bible into the back yard and burned it.)
A comparison of various dates reveals that Duncan would have been the son of Angus and Margaret Monroe, and the brother of both John Monroe (b.1789 d.1871, who is also buried with his own family in the same cemetery) and Mary Monroe (b. 30 Apr 1782, who is posted Nov 2002 on ancestry.com by Darrow K. Little.)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
D.Michael Iradi 3 Oct 2003 2:35AM GMT 
DMichael_Irad... 7 Jul 2008 6:09PM GMT 
JoanDay161 6 Feb 2013 11:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions