Re: Umbrecht

Replies: 0

Re: Umbrecht

William Gilcher (View posts)
Posted: 20 Oct 2004 7:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Umbrecht, Gilcher, Hertig, Schellenberg, Samsel
Dear Marilyn, dear Michelle,

I am a grandchild of Harry Adolph Gilcher and Mary Esther Auringer Gilcher. Frances Margaret Umbrecht, known apparently as "Frankie," was my great-grandmother, the mother of Harry Adolph. Many years ago, I tried to reach Umbrecht relatives in the Syracuse area, but at that time no one replied (very much pre-Internet days). Michelle Stone and I have been in touch about the Syracuse Gilchers and she wrote me today to tell me about your inquiry.

I have a picture of Frances on the wall in our living-room (here in Silver Spring, Maryland) and gathered some information about the Umbrechts about 20 years ago. Here's what I have:

From notes from my great-aunt Bess (Marie Elizabeth Gilcher Robinson Harrington), Frances's daughter:
"Emma Ranson, wife of Henry Ranson, was Emma Umbrecht lived at 118 McAllister Avenue, Syracuse. Buried Oakwood Cemetery on Ranson plot."
"Joseph Umbrecht brother of Frances and Emma. his wife Etta Pierce Umbrecht sister of a Mrs. Sahm, Hastings. NY. Both buried in Morningside cemetery."
"Bessie Kaufman Cooper was Bessie Ranson, daughter of Henry Ranson and step-daughter of Auntie Em."
"Uncle Joe had 2 sons by 1st marriage, her name Anna Schug. Sons Frank & Charles"

From Frances's death certificate (Frances M. Hertig--her second husband's name):
born 13 Nov 1859, Albany, NY [note: the city directory for Albany in 1859 lists a "Joseph Umbrech" as a cigarmaker living at 91 Dallius. Not listed for 1858 or 1860]
Frances Umbrecht Gilcher Hertig died 10 June 1916, Homeopathic Hospital, Syracuse
Cause: Chronic nephritis, cirrhosis of the liver, general dropsy
Father: Joseph Umbrecht, born Germany
Mother: Caroline Samsel, born Germany
Informant for death certificate: Harry A. Gilcher (my grandfather)
Buried at Woodlawn Cemetery, Syracuse, NY [section 38]

Mother: Caroline Samsel Umbrecht Schellenberg
from death certificate:
died 2 Dec 1907, 308 Prospect Avenue, Syracuse, NY (home)
Born Germany. Age at time of death: 70 yrs, 3 mos., 16 days (so she would have been born August 16, 1837 by my reckoning)
Father: Jacob Sansell (born Germany) [note: this is misspelling of Samsel]
Mother: Phillipina Hebel (born Germany)
Informant: Henry Schellenberg (2nd husband)
cause of death: arterial sclerosis
Buried: Woodlawn Cemetery, Syracuse [section 33, lot 11]
[I know from other sources that Jacob Samsel was born 5 March 1811 or 1815 in Essweiler, Palatinate, Germany. He married Philippina Hebel on 1 May 1838; they were all musicians; his parents were Johann Nickelaus Samsel and Margarethe Gilcher]

1st husband was Joseph Umbrecht, who seems to have died between 1861 and 1868.

Caroline Samsel Umbrecht Schellenberg's 2nd husband:
(from death certificate)
Henry August Schellenberg, died 1 April 1912 in Syracuse at home: 1426 Lodi Street at age 75, 20 days.
Cause of death: cerebral hemorrage
Born: Germany
parents: unknown
Profession: retired musician
Informant: Albert Schellenberg
Buried Woodlawn Cemetery, Syracuse

Brother of Frances:
Joseph W. Umbrecht, died 22 December 1913, aged 52 years, 4 months, 24 days
place of death: 600 Highland Street, Syracuse
Cause: pulmonary tuberculosis; myocarditis
Father: Joseph Umbrecht, born Germany
Mother: Caroline Sampson [i.e., Samsel]
Buried: Morningside Cemetery, Syracuse [G2, lot 316]

Father of Caroline Samsel Umbrecht Schellenberg:
Jacob Samsel, born 5 March 1811 in Germany (Essweiler/Pfalz)
died Syracuse 1 July 1876, leaving 3 children.
Buried Oakwood, section 48, lot 25
He was a bandmaster and emigrated in 1848.

A brother, Jacob Samsel (the younger), is also buried at the same location; born 22 Sept 1840 in Essweiler, Germany, died 6 December 1880 in Syracuse. His wife was named Apollonia Oswald; they married in 1860. Left 2 sons and a daughter. Funeral was from St. Peter's Church. My notes are incomplete; you could check with the cemetery. The details come from a newspaper account.

Umbrechts in some of the Syracuse directories (according to my old notes):
1867-8: Charles Umbrech, carpenter, boards 161 Butternut
1869: Charles Umbrech, builder, Union near Hickory
Max Umbrecht, laborer, h. Mulberry, corner Taylor
1869-70: Umbrech: as before
Max Umbrecht, laborer, h. 175 Mulberry
1870-71: Charles Umbrech, Union nr Union Avenue
Max Umbrecht, laborer, h. 175 Mulberry (wife: Agatha)
S. Umbrecht, carpenter, boards 175 Mulberry
1871-72: Umbrech/ts as before
1872-73: as before
1880-81: Frances Umbrecht, milliner, boards 25 Union
Joseph Umbrecht, printer, boards 25 Union
1881-82: Joseph Umbrecht, printer, boards 25 Union

The Syracuse Standard for 24 August 1890 gives a racy account of how Joseph W. Umbrecht's first marriage broke up after 7 years of marriage. He worked as a typesetter for the Syracuse Journal, but played trombone for a band in the summer at Maple Bay, along Onondaga Lake. He apparently had an affair with a woman named Eva Hazen, his wife found out about it, and she sued for divorce. More information in the Onondaga Historical Society's newspaper clippings.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions