Search for content in message boards

Catherine LUCHSINGER's 95th Birthday, 1907 (A Swiss/German Pioneer of Syracuse)

Replies: 2

Catherine LUCHSINGER's 95th Birthday, 1907 (A Swiss/German Pioneer of Syracuse)

Posted: 7 May 2005 12:25PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 18 Jan 2006 6:01AM GMT
Surnames: LUCHSINGER, BLUMER, STRAUB
[Transcribed by M. Stone from The Post-Standard, Syracuse, New York, Friday morning, February 15, 1907, page 5:]

Woman Receives Friends
On Ninety-Fifth Birthday

Mrs. Catherine Luchsinger
Does Not Wear Glasses and Walks Without a
Cane—When She Came to Syracuse
It Was but a Settlement.

Surrounded by her intimate friends and her two daughters and receiving guests with all the vigor of a woman of [50?] years, Mrs. Catherine Luchsinger last evening celebrated [illegible: “internally” ?] her ninety-fifth birthday at her residence, No. [221?] Cedar street.

Mrs. Luchsinger came to this city from Switzerland with her husband in 1836 and has lived continuously in the same locality ever since. She points with pride to the cottage next to her present residence as her first home in this city.

“I have seen Syracuse grow from nothing to this great place,” she said to a Post-Standard reporter last evening “and when I moved in this locality there was nothing but a shanty, the canal and a canal boat in sight.”

Mrs. Luchsinger expects to pay a visit to the Court House in her neighborhood this summer. Some of her friends said that there was an automobile ride awaiting her this summer also, but Mrs. Luchsinger shook her head and laughed heartily as she replied that she might fall out when she got dizzy. She takes great interest in all the events of the day, reads without glasses, hears well, walks without a cane and goes upstairs without assistance. She says she has always been of a cheerful nature, and that is why she has good health.

“It is none of my doing, though, for the good Lord gave me all I have for which I am truly thankful,” she said.

Mrs. Luchsinger is the mother of seven children, two of whom are living. They are Mrs. Blumer and Mrs. J[oanne?] Straub and both live in the same house with their mother. Mrs. Luchsinger has no grandchildren.

Mrs. Luchsinger eats of the hearty food that her family does and she does not have to be coddled as is generally the case of most women many years younger. A friend suggested that Mrs. Luchsinger was a model for the [generation?], both in mind and body, and that she certainly would round out the century.

Her son-in-law, Mr. Blumer, celebrated his birthday yesterday also.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
m1chellestone 7 May 2005 6:25PM GMT 
L. Kapphahn 9 May 2005 12:33PM GMT 
m1chellestone 17 May 2005 9:06AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions