Search for content in message boards

Parke/Parks/Park families Onondaga Co.

Replies: 3

Re: Parke/Parks/Park families Onondaga Co.

Posted: 24 Nov 2012 9:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Parke, Maxwell
I am researching Lucy Parke Maxwell, who married Simeon Maxwell (son of Joshua Maxwell, who was son of Hugh Thompson's brother Thompson Maxwell and Sybel Wyman) of Otisco (Onondaga) after death of Simeon's first wife Polly Billings. They had at least two children, one of whom was my ancestor Lucy Esther Maxwell. At first I had only Lucy's first name. Now I'm trying to figure out parents of Lucy Parke. She was born April 20, 1790 according to transcription made 1922 of stones in rural cemetery sw of Otisco, so she can't be an unrecorded child of Onondaga incomer John Parke (b. Chatham CT. son of Joseph Parke) because he had son Hervey born April 14, 1790-- unless Hervey's DOB or cemetery transcription or Lucy’s shown consistently in census were in error. At least now I know that she was Lucy Parke. That was confirmed by entry on George WIlliam Patterson on p. 439 of The Compendium of American Genealogy Vol VII, (lineage records, First Families of America) available on Ancestry.com. Simeon died in 1855. Lucy turns up with son in law S. Mills Day in 1860 and 1870 census. I felt very lucky to get a name to put with Lucy. After skipping over it the first time I read the transcription, I finally asked the question, "Who is Mrs. Lucy Park I?" I then realized that the odd "I" could be the left line of the M in Maxwell, the rest of which had been worn away. That theory was confirmed by the entry on George William Patterson on p. 439 of in The Compendium of American Genealogy, Vol VII (lineage records, First Families of America, available on Ancestry.com), where his wife's grandparents' names are given as Simeon Wyman Maxwell and Lucy Parke. Other sources: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nyononda/CEMETERY/OTISCORU...:
Maxwell
Simeon W. b. Feb 28 1792 d. Aug 10, 1855
Polly, wife of Simeon
b. Oct 13 1791 d. July 18 1827
Mary M. B. b. May 30 1826 d. Sep 20 1830
Mrs. Lucy Park I.
b. Apr 20 1790 d. July 12 1872
Esther b. Jan 10, 1771 d. Mch 29, 1839
Joshua b. May 29 1769 d. Nov 20, 1844

See also http://www.daynesfamilytree.com/descendantssirrobertparke.ht...
and http://www.archive.org/stream/genealogyofparke00inpark/genea...

Note that this adds two more to Parke family in Onondaga County (John and Lucy). What I want is their relationship. It seems there should be one. Perhaps the original posting here will lead me to it. It occurs to me that since Lucy would have been about 37 at the time of her marriage to Simeon she may have had a prior marriage, and it COULD be that it was to a Parke (maybe a son of John?) and that her maiden name was something else. Anybody have a comment on how widows were referred to? I mean, why say Mrs. Lucy Parke Maxwell instead of just Lucy Parke Maxwell? Maybe just a short way of indicating that she was married to a Maxwell and not, e.g., a sister, but was there some custom of showing the name of a first husband in preference to the maiden name? PS In addition to two known daughters of her own, Lucy Parke Maxwell raised her young stepsons Thompson Clark, Joshua I. and Henry E. Maxwell, who became the founders of T.C. Maxwell & Bros. of Geneva NY (a large nursery and fruit growing operation).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bdowling32 23 Sep 2009 12:52AM GMT 
BarbaraDowlin... 24 Sep 2009 1:16AM GMT 
SNBarb 24 Nov 2012 4:47PM GMT 
owlisnapp 22 Jul 2013 8:08PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions