Search for content in message boards

1919 death registration - Barriger

Replies: 6

Re: 1919 death registration - Barriger

Posted: 10 Nov 2012 12:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
The best way to obtain a copy of the Death Registration or Death Certificate for an individual who passed away in New York State, is:
(The same procedure applies to Birth and Marriages as well)

1. Send an email to the librarians at the Onondaga County Public Library's Local History and Genealogy (use the previous link)
2. In that email, provide as much information as you can about the individual you are searching.
3. The Local History and Genealogy Department has a copy of the Microfiche Index (not the Certificates) for the New York State, Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Records. (This is only an index, not the full records)
4. The Microfiche Index starts at about 1880 and goes to1962 for Marriages & Deaths; and from about 1880 - 1937 for Births. Only direct blood relatives can obtain Certificates newer than the stated years.
(Many places were not super Cooperative, so obtaining a Certificate between 1880 - 1900 and possibly beyond, might not be successful.)

5. Someone searching the Index will (hopefully) get the:
5a. Exact date of the event.
5b. Exact location of the event (City, Town, Village, etc. Not street address.)
5c. The spelling used for that persons name, when the Certificate was submitted.
5d. The New York State Certificate Number. (Massively important, since there are no refunds!)

6. Once you get that information, you fill out a form if you want to get a photocopy of the original certificate from NYS. The cost is $22 for a Genealogy copy, and $30 for a Certified Copy.

7. If you want to get a Certificate from Onondaga County, which in my experience is a Transcription of a Certificate from a very large Ledger Book, (That transcription may or may not include all possible information provided; and the interpretation of the handwriting is up to the employee waiting on you, so it may obtain incorrect data..) you would request from the Onondaga County Bureau of Vital Statistics located in the basement of the Civic Center. Again, $22 for a Non Certified, (Genealogy Copy) of the Certificate; or $30 for a Certified Copy, with a raised seal!

A mailed request to NYS couple take up to a year to receive, but a hand delivered request generally is received in a month or less.

Yes, there are some people who will do this free of charge {gas money &Thruway Toll money would be nice because its probably about 2 hours from Syracuse, one way}, and others who will charge for this service!

I cannot tell you how long it takes to get a Certificate from Onondaga County, because I'd rather get them from Albany! (A previous request sat at the top of the pile for months because when I would inquire... I was always told that they were too short handed, or something... To do it.

Onondaga County has some records before 1880, but remember, NO REFUNDS, EVEN IF NO RECORD FOUND, is the rule, for both locations!

Let me know if I can be of assistance!

I will proof read in the morning! It is now 2:40 am!

Good luck, Anne

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
MargMcFarlane 8 Nov 2012 5:02PM GMT 
barbdale_1 9 Nov 2012 4:36AM GMT 
MargMcFarlane 9 Nov 2012 5:09AM GMT 
MuskratBay 10 Nov 2012 7:37AM GMT 
MargMcFarlane 10 Nov 2012 3:09PM GMT 
MuskratBay 11 Nov 2012 4:03AM GMT 
MargMcFarlane 9 Nov 2012 5:10AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions