Search for content in message boards

CAMPBELL OF ELBRIDGE/SYR area

Replies: 7

Re: CAMPBELL OF ELBRIDGE/SYR area

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 2:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
My great, great, grandfather also was Rosiel David Campbell, son of David Campbell and Cornelia Spoor. He was born in 1810 in LaFayette, as you said. He married someone named Sally ? first. In 1833 they had twin sons, Eugene & Luzerne Campbell (sometimes shows up as Langdon). They also had a daughter, Laura. Some records on the internet show that the sons died at birth, but they did not. I have copies of letters they wrote home to their stepmother and to Rosiel during the Civil War and beyond. The daughter, Laura, did die at three years of age. Rosiel divorced Sally in 1840-41 - I have a copy of the divorce papers. He then Cornelia Linderman. They had 10 children but several died at a young age. The first two sons were named Charles and William. They went to war when the civil war started, with their father, Rosiel. The boys were 12 and 14. William died of the measles while at Corinth and is buried there. Rosiel had sent Charles back home to help Cornelia and he turned out to be my Great Grandfather. He named his first son, Charles William Campbell, after himself and his deceased brother. That Charles William Campbell,my grandfather, named his son, Charles William Campbell Jr. - my father. My name is Lynnette "Campbell" Finch.
Rosiel took his two sons to war in 1861 with the 46th Regiment of the Illinois volunteer and came back hom in 1862. My sister and I have copies of letters that were written between Rosiel and Cornelia and their children during this time.
The family records show that Rosiel's father was David Campbell and mother was Cornelia Spoor. It says that David was born in Scotland and the son of William and Mary. Cornelia Spoor was born in New York. It shows them being married in 1806 in New York, so he had to come to America before 1806.
I would love information on David and where in Scotland he came from - any information would be of great help.
I see that this posting of yours is 10 years old, so I don't know if you are using this site any longer.
Would love to hear from you!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jennifer Carr 31 May 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Stephen Campbell 5 Jan 2002 2:33AM GMT 
fstwatr1 15 Jul 2002 2:03AM GMT 
plater1381 26 Nov 2011 5:44PM GMT 
lynquilter1 18 Feb 2013 9:56PM GMT 
plater1381 24 Feb 2013 4:15PM GMT 
Stephen_Campb... 6 Jun 2013 6:54PM GMT 
lynquilter1 20 Jul 2013 9:05PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions