Israel TOMPKINS>Hannibal>William H. TOMPKINS>Granby>Oswego County

Posted: 13 Oct 2002 12:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Mar 2003 1:40PM GMT
Surnames: Tompkins, Brown, Kelly, and Fulcher
While searching the Oswego County New York Gen Web,
I discovered the grave of an Israel TOMPKINS- born:.1824 &
died: 1897 in Hannibal Center Cemetery; Hannibal, New York;
Row 4; Section 1. Mary E. - His wife had no dates.

I also discovered a William H. Tompkins as a resident of Granby on the Oswego County New York Gen Web.

John Churchill wrote in his "Landmarks of Oswego County, N.
Y.," on page 523, that: "William H. Tompkins b. Saratoga Co., N.Y., January 1823, settled in 1835 at Granby, Oswego Co., N.Y. He had spent some time living in Onondaga Co. before reaching Granby. He came with his father, Benjamin, two brothers, Israel and Charles, plus a sister Phebe. They settled on lot 17 by the river. Benjamin died in 1858. According to the 1880 Census for Granby, Wm. H. Tompkins,
farmer, Age 57, with wife, Harriet, age 57, b. England, and daughter, Hattie E., age 17."

I am currently researching Israel TOMPKINS, a well-known United Empire Loyalist of English Extraction from Stillwater, Saratoga Co., New York. After the American Revolution ended in 1873 he settled in Sorel, Quebec and then migrated to Wolford and Augusta Townships in Grenville County, Upper Canada. Israel was a cousin to Daniel D. Tompkins, two-time governor of the state of New York and Vice-President of the United States.

Israel Tompkins, my Great Great Great Grandfather, fought with Jessup's Loyal Rangers and was at the battle of Saratoga, where he was captured with five men while carrying dispatches for the British. He escaped and went on to fight as a Loyalist for the remainder of the war until the capitulation.

As a member of Kings Rangers, Rogers Rangers, and Jessup's Loyal Rangers, Israel Tompkins served the Royal Standard for 5 years and 3 months, in service to "The Crown"
and was honorably discharged 17, Jan., 1783 at Rivere des Chene.

The reason I am interested in the Israel Tompkins & William H. Tompkins in Oswego County is because they were brothers who came with their brother Charles, sister Phebe, and father Benjamin from Saratoga County and all of these
names are the same as those of my Israel TOMPKINS, the Loyalist.

I also suspect that my Israel TOMPKINS could have been the brother of Benjamin TOMPKINS, or at least a very close relative. It is very possible that Benjamin named his son Israel after my Israel TOMPKINS. Israel TOMPKINS is not a common given name and surname to be found together in genealogy research from this era during the American Revolution & before.

I am attempting to find my Israel TOMPKINS' family in New York, whom he left, because he was a Loyalist & was forced to leave, be imprisoned ,or executed, due to England losing the war. I am also unaware of who his parents were and I
am unsure of where he is buried. It is possible that he may have returned to New York sometime after 1817. I last found my Israel TOMPKINS on the 1817 Census of Wolford Township, Grenville County, Upper Canada, when he was about 58. After 1817 I have been unable to find him anywhere in Canada.

If anyone is researching any TOMPKINS in the Oswego County area that could shed some light on the TOMPKINS I have mentioned, please notify me.

Thanks.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
kellykin2u 13 Oct 2002 6:12AM GMT 
kellytompkins 6 Feb 2013 7:03PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions