Search for content in message boards

Alexander, John, Donald and Sarah McClellan

Replies: 0

Alexander, John, Donald and Sarah McClellan

Posted: 8 Feb 2013 4:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Feb 2013 4:26PM GMT
Surnames: McClellan, Tiffany, Peck, Armstrong
'm looking for any information on the above listed McClellans who emigrated from Canada to Oswego, NY circa 1865 . . . my direct ancestor is Sarah McClellan Tiffany. John and Donald are her brothers and her father is Alexander. They were "east side toughs" as the local Oswego papers called them -- and had frequent run-ins with the law. Sarah married Civil War veteran Edward Tiffany in 1874. Upon his death in 1893, however, his pension went to a previous wife, and Sarah and her 5 children (plus one from her previous marriage) were essentially destitute. Newspaper accounts in 1898 refer to their house as a "plague spot."

Sarah's children were Robert Armstrong . . . and Rose, Kate, Harry (Harrison, James (Alexander) and Nellie (Ellen). Nellie married Alan Peck in 1912 - she is my great-grandmother.

I'm also working on a research paper for graduate school which discusses issues of women and poverty, using the lives of Sarah and Nellie as an outline. I am hoping to use both biographical data and local history, but am running into dead ends in Oswego, NY for documentation. Has anyone been tracing this family or have other family stories, photos or suggestions?

I live about 5 hours from Oswego and was hoping to take a research trip up there - but no one seems to have old court documents . . . the county historian referred me to the Penfield Library . . .they referred me to the county historian . . .

Thanks.

Leslie

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions