Search for content in message boards

TUBBS, Samuel, his last will & testament, 1805.

Replies: 0

TUBBS, Samuel, his last will & testament, 1805.

Posted: 11 Oct 2000 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Will
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 4:42AM GMT
Surnames: TUBBS, STORY, COOPER, WENTWORTH, HERRICK, LEWIS, GRAVES, HOLT, VanDERVER
Otsego County, NY, TUBBS, Samuel, Otsego B-12

Will of Samuel Tubbs, Liber B, Page 12.

Copy of the Will of Samuel Tubbs, deceased.

In the name of God, Amen. I, Samuel Tubbs, of the Town and County of Otsego and State of New York, altho feeble in body, being of sound mind, memory and understanding, but considering the uncertainty of human life do make this, My Last will and testament in manner following, viz., after all my debts and funeral expenses are paid which I desire be done as soon after my decease as convenient may be. I give and Devise unto my Daughter Lydia the House and Lot in Cooperstown in which I now reside with the appurtenances thereunto belonging and also the House hold Furniture that may be therein at the time of my decease to her heirs and assigns forever. And I give and bequeath unto my daughter Lois, wife of Oliver Story, the fifty acres of land on which the said Oliver now lives (and which I reserved out of the premises which I sold to Richard F. Cooper, Esq.) during her natural life and after her decease. I give and devise the same to all her children and their heirs forever share and share alike except her son William to whom I give and devise after the death of his said mother, two shares of the said premises, And I further give unto my said daughter Lois one hundred Dollars to be paid to her by my executors as soon after my decease as conveniently may be. And as to all the rest and residue of my Estate both real and personal after the payment of all my debts, funeral Expenses and the aforesaid Specific and pecuniary Legacy, I give bequeath and devise the same to my daughter Mary the wife of Alpheus Wentworth, Anna the wife of Benajah Story, and Miriam the wife of Francis Herrick to be equally divided among them, and to have and to hold to them, their heirs and assigns forever. And I do hereby nominate and appoint, Richard F. Cooper of Cooperstown, Esq and my Son in Law Alpheus Wentworth executors of this my last will and Testament, hereby revoking All former and other wills and testaments by me at any time heretofore made and I do declare this to be my last will and testament set my hand and seal this first day of March in the year of our Lord
one thousand eight hundred and five. Samuel [his + mark] Tubbs, L.S.

Signed, Sealed, Published and declared by the said Samuel Tubbs, the testator as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us who at his request and in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto Subscribed –

Page 13.

Our names as witnesses, -- The words “and in the Presence” interlined [underlined?] before signing. Also the word “my”, [not on this copy],
Isaac Lewis, Recompense Graves, Joseph Holt

Be it remembered that on the ninth day of May in the year one thousand and eight hundred and five personally appeared before me Ferdinand VanDerver, Recompense Graves & Joseph Holt to whom I administered an oath in the words following, viz., "You swear that you respectively saw Samuel Tubbs Sign, Seal, Publish and Declare this instrument in writing as and for his last will and testament and at the time thereof the said Samuel Tubbs was of sound and disposing mind and memory to the best of your knowledge and belief and that your names Subscribed to the said instrument are respectively of your own proper hand writing which you subscribed thereto in the testators presence, So help you God”

Also appeared before me Richard F. Cooper and Alpheus Wentworth executors of the preceding will and were duly Sworn to the true performance and execution of the preceding will by taking the usual oaths as Executors –

Ferdinand VanDevers Surrogate

L.S. The people of the State of New York by the grace of God. Free and Independent to all to whom these presents shall come or may concern sends Greetings: Know ye that at Cooperstown in the county of Otsego on the ninth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and five, before me Ferdinand VanDevers, Surrogate of our said county the last will and testament of Samuel Tubbs, deceased, a copy whereof is hereunto annexed, was proved and is now approved and allowed by us. And the said deceased, having whilst he lived and at the time of his death, goods chattels or credits within this state by means whereof the proving and registering the said will and the granting administration of all and singular the said goods chattels and credits and also the auditing allowing and final discharging the account thereof doth belong unto us the administration of all and singular the goods chattels and credits of the said deceased and any way concerning his will is granted unto Richard F. Cooper and Alpheus Wentworth, Executors in the said will named they being first duly sworn will and faithfully to administer the same and to make and exhibit a true and perfect Inventory of all and Singular of all and –

Page 14.

Singular the Goods Chattels and Credits and also render a just and true account thereof when thereunto required. In testimony whereof we have caused the seal of office of our said Surrogate to be hereunto affixed

– Witness Ferdinand VanDerver, Esq, Surrogate of the said County at Cooperstown aforesaid the ninth day of May – in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and five and of our Independence, the twenty ninth.

Ferdinand VanDerver, Surrogate

The preceding will of Samuel Tubbs, deceased, with the certificate of the proof thereof and of the qualification of Richard F. Cooper and Alpheus Wentworth as Executors and the letter testamintury [latter testimony?] thereon recorded this ninth day of May 1805.

Ferdinand VanDerver

Surrogate

End of transcript of the Will of Samuel Tubbs,
made by Richard Leon Herrick
RLH:mtf:20001009

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions